How do I fix this??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm new to server editions of Windows having always used normal desktop environments, currently I'm running Windows Home Server 2011 and Plex Server, I've been running this setup now for a week with no problems, the server is published and shared with 3 friends who could all see the contents up until today, the only change I've made is that I've setup remote access on the server so that I can access it remotely. 

Now my Plex server is showing as unavailable in red letters, if anyone attempts to use the direct I.P. address the page goes to the home server login page which I do not want anyone but me accessing for obvious reasons.

My question is how can I access both my plex server and still use remote access?

Any help would be appreciated 

Noel 
    Monday, January 7, 2013 6:45 PM

Answers

• From the Plex FAQ:

What network ports do I need to allow through my firewall to enable access?

TCP 32400 (for access to the Plex Media Server)

UDP 1900 (for access to the Plex DLNA Server)

UDP 32469 (for access to the Plex DLNA Server)

UDP 5353 (for Bonjour/Avahi if you are using these products for service discovery)

Have you tried<Server_IP_address>:32400? Is your router set up to port forward either of those ports to your Plex Server? If your router is UPnP compatible, WHS will have forwarder 80 and 443 for you. Turning off media streaming will switch it off, even though it did not appear to have done so. What it won't do is put your router back to the same state it was in before you started!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:07 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 8:32 PM

All replies

• You will need to change Plex to use different ports to those used by WHS2011 (which uses 80 (http://) and 443(https://)).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:15 PM
  • How do I do that, plex auto configured itself to use port 57915 during the publishing of the server. Regards Noel
    Monday, January 7, 2013 7:30 PM
  • I don't know much about Plex but saw this which talks about a different port (32400) to the one you quoted: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/ConfigurePortForward.

Neither of these are used by WHS - how are you trying to access Plex from outside your network? If you are using a browser, it will definitely show your WHS login page as part of the setup forwards Ports 80 & 443 to your WHS Server. You could of course just use WHS to do your media streaming as long as it is to Silverlight based clients

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Hi, I am trying to access it through a web browser, I have tried using my external ip followed by :57915 to go directly to it but that doesn't work either, Is there anyway to complete turn off the remote web access and undo whatever changes have occurred so that plex may work again? I ask this because I'm sharing my plex server with 3 others at the moment and no one can access it while it's current configuration is in place. I have tried to use the dashboard and select the remote access option and select "turn off" however it does not appear to turn off anything. Regards Noel
    Monday, January 7, 2013 8:06 PM
  • From the Plex FAQ:

What network ports do I need to allow through my firewall to enable access?

TCP 32400 (for access to the Plex Media Server)

UDP 1900 (for access to the Plex DLNA Server)

UDP 32469 (for access to the Plex DLNA Server)

UDP 5353 (for Bonjour/Avahi if you are using these products for service discovery)

Have you tried<Server_IP_address>:32400? Is your router set up to port forward either of those ports to your Plex Server? If your router is UPnP compatible, WHS will have forwarder 80 and 443 for you. Turning off media streaming will switch it off, even though it did not appear to have done so. What it won't do is put your router back to the same state it was in before you started!

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:07 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 8:32 PM