SYSTEM using 1.7TB of space RRS feed

• Question

• I have a curious question regarding WHS V1. 

When looking at "Server Storage" to see the amount of free space left on my devices, I noticed that the "SYSTEM" was taking 1.7 TB of space! 

This system is home built and consists of a system drive of  80GB and two data  drives of 2TB each.  I installed WHS on the 80 GB drive where it used 20GB for SYSTEM and the remaining for DATA.  I then added each of the 2TB drives.  Next I restored from offline backup all of my shared folder and user data (approximately 400 GB).  This was a year ago and I more or less paid little attention to the amount of free space after that knowing that I had plenty!

However a few days ago I looked at the Server Storage and where I once had plenty of free space, I now had about 16% left on a system that contains 4TB of disk.  I know I'm using 400GB for shared folders with duplication (800GB) and I've checked my backups and they appear to be using an additional 650GB.  The SYSTEM then takes up 1.7TB for what?

Anybody with any ideas?  Is it because I used that 80GB drive to install with?

Thanks.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:41 PM

All replies

• ...  I installed WHS on the 80 GB drive where it used 20GB for SYSTEM and the remaining for DATA. ...
    Please verify the amount of space used on the system drive for the SYSTEM partition. There has never been a released version of Windows Home Server which used only 20 GB of space for the SYSTEM partition, so if that value is correct, you have a hacked pre-release (i.e. beta) version of the product. If this is the case, I would recommend you consider switching to Windows Home Server 2011, as V1 is no longer supported.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:18 PM
  • Ken, I beg to differ with you!

This is an OEM version of Windows Home Server which I purchased sometime in early 2008.  The box has a "build date" of 11/6/2007.

Anyway, I just took an identical test machine with a single 80 GB drive and re-installed WHS V1 on this system and by default it configured the disk drive into a 20 GB C:\ (SYS) and a 54.52 GB D:\ (DATA) partitions.

I have a copy of WHS 2011 which I tried to use last last year.  However, after a frustrating 2 weeks of trying, I was never able to perform a full "bare metal restore" using this version of WHS.  Therefore I abandoned the product.  Besides, WHS V1 with Drive Extender is a far superior product in my opinion to WHS 2011.  Usually simpler to manage and maintain.

That said, while what I'm seeing now with my V1 system is not necessarily a problem, it is of concern to me.  I have no more available 2 TB drives hanging around so I'm going to now try and duplicate my problem using 750 GB drives instead.  Not perfect, but all that I have on hand.

Greg

Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Ken, I tried another fresh install of WHS V1, this time using 750GB drives.  I still get a 20.00GB C:\ (SYS) system partition and this time I also get a 678.63GB D:\ (DATA) data partition. 

So from my point of view, 20GB is normal.

Greg

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Ken, for "posting a lot" you didn't respond at all to my posts.  You indicated that "there has never been a released version of Windows Home Server which used only 20 GB of space for the SYSTEM partition", yet I have reinstalled twice (once using only an 80 GB drive and a second time using a 750 GB drive and on both occasions a 20 GB SYSTEM partition was created.

Yesterday, I tried again using two brand news 2 TB drives.  Installed WHS V1 from distribution CD and by default the install created a SYSTEM partion of 20 GB and a DATA partion of 3.9 TB spread over two drives using Drive Extender. 

At this point in time when I look at the "Server Storage" from within the WHS Console , I see that SYSTEM is only using 20 GB, with "Shared Folders", "Duplication" and "Backups" using a small portion and "Free Space" using 3.6 TB.  That's as I would expect it to be.

However, as I mentioned in my original post, on my production server from within the WHS Console under Server Storage, I see that "Shared Folders" use 394 GB, "Duplication" uses 394 GB, "PC Backups" use 655 GB and "System" uses 1.7 TB.  That leaves "Free Space" at 659 GB.  The "System" area in my opinion should not use up that much space and as I originally asked, could that be because I used an 80 GB drive as the drive on which WHS was installed?

If you don't know, then just say so and I'll search elsewhere for my answer.  But please don't say something that is patently untrue ("never been a released version ...").  Post a lot if you will, but post accurately!

Thanks.

Greg ...

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:32 PM
  • "System" in the pie chart reflects all disk space used which doesn't fall into any of the other wedges. So if, for example, you manually create a share (by logging in to the server's console and using standard Windows Explorer methods) into which you place 100 GB of .iso files, your "System" wedge will eventually go up by 100 GB. (This is something you could have found out by searching this forum.) To find out what that 1.7 TB of space really is used for you will have to examine all of your disks to see.

I can't explain the 20/30 GB system partition except by saying that I have no way to reproduce your issue: I no longer have media for V1 or a running V1 server. My recollection (from over 6 years ago) is that V1, when released, required a 30 GB system partition, because strongly worded feedback during the preceding beta told Microsoft that 20 GB was inadequate in most cases. I know for a fact that both the server I built immediately after release (from disks Microsoft provided) and the HP Mediasmart Server I received around that time for testing purposes had 30 GB system partitions.

Now, my recommendation moving forward: As V1 is no longer supported by the publisher (Microsoft), move on to Windows Home Server 2011, which will continue to be supported until sometime in 2016. You will be giving up Drive Extender (which is a small loss, considering how problematic it's been ever since release), but gaining better support for modern hardware, more robust server backup, and (rough) parity in media handling. 

Finally, as regards how quickly (or slowly) I respond to any individual question:

Bear in mind as you demand prompt answers that all help received from anyone who does not identify themselves as a Microsoft employee or contractor is volunteer, uncompensated assistance. In other words, I am not paid for the time I spend here, I have a life outside this forum, and I have no SLA that I must meet here. Bear in mind also that you are using a product that is no longer supported (Windows Home Server V1 exited mainstream support at the beginning of this year, with no extended support). And finally, bear in mind that Microsoft has, in effect, left the "home server" space behind; their current product which they would tell you fills this need is Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2, a very different product for a very different target audience.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 25, 2013 7:24 PM