none
How to start with the Exchange world? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For 9 years, i've been working in the IT industry managing Microsoft products and i am still.  I've worked on ISA, SMS, SUS, OCS, AD and Sharepoint. The only product that i haven't touch in my life is Exchange except once since Exchange 2003. I don't know anything yet about 2007 or 2010. I received a new assignment from my boss to work on Exchange server in my company. That being said, i have collected all the Exchange 2007 materials (Books, videos, articles, online documents, you name it). For 2010, i have collected couple of books as recommended by most of the MVPs who i know. They are: "Mastering Microsoft Exchange Server 2010" and "Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Inside Out".

Now, my question is:

Because i don't know anything about Exchange, do i need to study 2007 and then jump to 2010? OR do i need to study 2010 directly?

The thing is, i am not sure if the 2010 books explain the Exchange concept from the beginning or it just jumps to the new features and concepts of 2010 only and I am not sure if these books are for mail professionals or just beginners with no mailing concept unless i read them. If this is the case, then i think the recommended path is to start with 2007 to understand the full concept.

I would like to receive your valuable opinions in order to assist me in my path to Exchange.

Thanks

AM

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:40 PM

Answers

• There's no need to learn Exchange Server 2007 to be able to use Exchange 2010.  Furthermore, descriptions of the books you have state:

Mastering Microsoft Exchange Server 2010

Whether you're upgrading from Exchange Server 2007 SP1 or earlier, installing for the first time, or migrating from another system, this step-by-step guide provides the hands-on instruction, practical application, and real-world advice you need.

Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Inside Out

Dive into Exchange Server 2010 and SP1—and discover how to really put your messaging solutions to work! This well-organized and in-depth reference packs all the details you need to deploy and manage Exchange 2010, including hundreds of timesaving solutions, expert tips, and workarounds.

Given the above, I also see no need to learn Exchange Server 2007.  That said, what version of Exchange have you been asked to implement?

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:28 PM

All replies

• There's no need to learn Exchange Server 2007 to be able to use Exchange 2010.  Furthermore, descriptions of the books you have state:

Mastering Microsoft Exchange Server 2010

Whether you're upgrading from Exchange Server 2007 SP1 or earlier, installing for the first time, or migrating from another system, this step-by-step guide provides the hands-on instruction, practical application, and real-world advice you need.

Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Inside Out

Dive into Exchange Server 2010 and SP1—and discover how to really put your messaging solutions to work! This well-organized and in-depth reference packs all the details you need to deploy and manage Exchange 2010, including hundreds of timesaving solutions, expert tips, and workarounds.

Given the above, I also see no need to learn Exchange Server 2007.  That said, what version of Exchange have you been asked to implement?

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:28 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Jeff.

I've been asked to deploy the 2010 version.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:45 PM
  • Then I see no need to learn Exchange 2007

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Thanks again.

Based on the information you given, there is no doubt then to start directly with 2010 version.

One more question Jeff if you allow me please.

I already purchased a CBT Nugget product for the Exchange 2007, am i still be able to watch them for the 2010 version?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:19 AM