Limiting shared folder size w/ write rights RRS feed

• Question

• When creating new shared folders for Users with remote web access I do not see where I can limit the size of the individual folders over the console. I think this would be quite beneficial in managing the overall drive space. Without any space stipulations, any given user could possibly fill the disk(s) thus hampering computer backups for all clients directly connected to the server. Is this a feature that I simply overlooked?

Monday, March 19, 2007 10:28 AM

Answers

• No, you can't use the WHS console to impose disk quotas on users. You shouldn't try to do it using Disk Management, either. We're warned by Microsoft that almost anything one can do in Disk Management runs the risk of breaking Drive Extender.

In a normal home use scenario, though, I'm not sure how likely it is that a single user would consume all remaining disk space.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 5:42 PM

All replies

• No, you can't use the WHS console to impose disk quotas on users. You shouldn't try to do it using Disk Management, either. We're warned by Microsoft that almost anything one can do in Disk Management runs the risk of breaking Drive Extender.

In a normal home use scenario, though, I'm not sure how likely it is that a single user would consume all remaining disk space.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 5:42 PM
  • There is a suggestion on Connect bout this, you might like to add you comments. I personally see this as a show stopper if my son can fill up the music folder and take all the space I intended for backups!

Gordon

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:07 AM