locked
CRM 2011 - Import Organization Fails RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am importing organization in CRM 2011 + Rollup8 and getting error : "The Import Organization Wizard cannot connect to the SQL Server or cannot find an organization database on <servername>."

    What am I missing? Please help!


    Lana Feldman

    Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:42 PM

Answers

  • I figured it out!

    The error occurred because I had an organization with the same name as I was trying to import.

    In 4.0 you had to blow-out old organization by verture of creataing a new dummy one and subsequently importing your production organization. In version 2011 you can actually disable and then delete old organization. Then Import the new one. 

    Here are my steps that worked:

    1)In Deployment Manager disable old organization; delete it

    2)Restore organization_MSCRM database

    3) IN DM Import Organization

    Be careful: article on MS says you have to restore Config database. This made a mess, brought CRM into worst shape - had to rollback the whole thing.


    Lana Feldman

    • Marked as answer by lana7220 Friday, June 15, 2012 4:19 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 2:42 PM

All replies

  • What are the steps to load production organization on development server?

    I was following  this article, but no success: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh699772.aspx

    Option "Move the Microsoft Dynamics CRM databases to another SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services server in the same domain, and leave the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2011 on the existing server"

    Do we need to restore Config database? In 4.0 it was not necessary. I just created dummy organization to replace old data, and then imported restored organization. What has changed?


    Lana Feldman

    Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:36 PM
  • have you looked at the log files, event viewer or trace files to see if you get any meaningful error messages.


    Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

    Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Ok. I got DM to Import my organization by doing these steps:

    1)restored both: organization and configuration databases;

    2) updated server name in config database server table.

    3)deleted my organization

    4) then was able to import, map users and so on. BUT now when i go to Internet Explorer get "404 - File or directory not found."

    HELP!!!


    Lana Feldman

    Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:48 PM
  • The name of the organization Database must be "DATABASENAME"_MSCRM . Otherwise the import wizard cannot find the database.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 1:29 PM
  • I figured it out!

    The error occurred because I had an organization with the same name as I was trying to import.

    In 4.0 you had to blow-out old organization by verture of creataing a new dummy one and subsequently importing your production organization. In version 2011 you can actually disable and then delete old organization. Then Import the new one. 

    Here are my steps that worked:

    1)In Deployment Manager disable old organization; delete it

    2)Restore organization_MSCRM database

    3) IN DM Import Organization

    Be careful: article on MS says you have to restore Config database. This made a mess, brought CRM into worst shape - had to rollback the whole thing.


    Lana Feldman

    • Marked as answer by lana7220 Friday, June 15, 2012 4:19 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi Lana,

    Try to clear the browser cache, history, form data. Restart the IE and access it again.

    Make sure that all of the CRM Services are up and running.

    Regards,


    Khaja Mohiddin
    http://www.dynamicsexchange.com
    http://about.me/KhajaMohiddin

    Friday, June 15, 2012 4:17 PM
  • OMG!!!   I have been banging my head against the wall with this one. 

    Thank you so much!!! 

    Julio Garrido

    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:40 PM