Failure of security center in Vista Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• After recieving the last update to Live onecare, the security center in Vista Home Premium reportsthe security center is turned off.  Attempts to start service in center results in error message "security service can't be started."    Trying to start service from services results in message "Configuration Manager:The specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device."    Trying to start service in property window  results in error "1083:  The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the  service."

So I have 3 questions.

1.  Did the upgrade and update to live onecare take over all the features provided in the Security center of Vista Home Premium or is this a bug?

2.  If this is a feature of the update , why was there not an attached KB number for info on the update from microsoft explaining the change in security center?

3.  I have looked in Technet and other MSN sites and have not been able to locate an error number database or process ID database for Vista in any version.  Where is the information for this, since I assume that there would be an equivalent as there was in XP.  Any information would be appreciated. 

Version 2.0.2500.14

definition #1.24.5919.0

firewall policy 1.2.30.116

Thanks

Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:13 AM

Answers

• Thank you for responding to my query.  I am rather upset with tech support for the misinformation given in regard to the failure of the security service as I discussed this at length with the person who took my service incident and her manager, and had them confirm their answers.  As a MVP and moderator of the forum maybe you can advise me on how to resolve the fact that tech support is giving out wrong information on the very product they are supporting?  This is the reason I was searching for a database for error IDs and process ids for Vista.  Are you aware of any on the sites associated with LOC?   Again,Thank you for the assist.    The service fix that you provided for the XP platform apparently does work in Vista as security center is up and appears to be running correctly,.  I will watch for further posts in response to this reply.  Thanks Steve.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:45 PM

All replies

• OneCare does not turn off the Security Center, so it would appear that a service needed by the Security Center is not starting properly or something else has been damaged.

Yours is the first report I've read of this happening, though it may be something support has encountered.

I found this - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wscsvcfix.htm - for the exact error in XP, but I don't know it it works for Vista.

Please contact support for help with this - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Thank you for responding to my query.  I am rather upset with tech support for the misinformation given in regard to the failure of the security service as I discussed this at length with the person who took my service incident and her manager, and had them confirm their answers.  As a MVP and moderator of the forum maybe you can advise me on how to resolve the fact that tech support is giving out wrong information on the very product they are supporting?  This is the reason I was searching for a database for error IDs and process ids for Vista.  Are you aware of any on the sites associated with LOC?   Again,Thank you for the assist.    The service fix that you provided for the XP platform apparently does work in Vista as security center is up and appears to be running correctly,.  I will watch for further posts in response to this reply.  Thanks Steve.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:45 PM
  • I can forward your concerns to Microsoft if you provide the case ID. What did support tell you?

Error messages are hard to come by with explanations. Many are posted to the Microsoft Knowledgebase, but it requires a fair amount of searching and filtering in some cases, as the articles may not apply exactly.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Hello again Steve.  Here is the case ID and my response back to the manager at the tech support center, who was the second person to confirm to me , again after checking with his sources, that Live Onecare had indeed shutdown my security center.

Hi Kevin,

This is Geetha with Windows Live OneCare.

It was my pleasure to work with you on OneCare case 1056331528 .I hope that you were completely satisfied with the service provided to you.

Based on our last conversation it appears that this case is resolved and ready to be archived. If this is not correct or if you are not very satisfied with the support we've provided please let us know as soon as possible. My goal is to ensure that your experience with Windows Live OneCare leaves you very satisfied with our products and services.

Here is a summary of the key points of the case for your records:

Action:

tried to turn on the fire wall in windows option

Result:
    was not able to do

Cause:
    due to the liveone care firewall is turned on

Resolution:
    Educated about the firewall, defender and spyware in live onecare and windows options.

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you. If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, Bala, my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions. You may reach my manager by sending an email to
    @mssupport.microsoft.com

Thank you for contacting Windows Live OneCare.

Sincerely,

Geetha

@mssupport.microsoft.com

08:30AM - 05:30PM PST

*When replying, please include your case number, name, email address and phone number. Thank you.

Give your computer continuous antivirus and firewall protection, along with regular tune-ups and
    back-ups to maintain its performance.

Here is the letter I wrote to tech support

SRX1056331528ID - SRX1056331528ID

OneCare Case 1056331528

Dear Sir: I have the unfortunate job of informing you that some of the information you and I discussed in our conversation after I spoke with Geetha was wrong. If you remember the conversation ( I do not really expect this, as I am sure you receive many in a business day) I was inquiring if my recent update to Live onecare was the reason that my security center in Vista had stopped running, and both you and Geetha assurred me after checking with your resources that this was the case.

After independent investigation of the situation, I find that this is not correct. Live onecare does, in fact, replace the function of Windows Firewall, it is true, but does NOT shut down the Security Center service.

This is in fact an anomaly that the moderator of the Live onecare update forum had not even encountered. I will however share the solution with you in case it happens to come into the tech center in the future.

And then shared the windows service fix that you had advised.  I have had no response back from the tech support center in 3 days after sending this information to Bala.  As you can see from the email response to the original live chat inquiry, they did not evidently understand the difference between security center and Windows firewall and / or Live onecare firewall being 3 seperate items.

If tech support does not understand the difference between service center and a firewall program, how are they going to help the average user who may not followup after being reassured that everything is "OK"?

As far as event IDs, error IDs and Process IDs, as there are so many, based in the numbering series associated with earlier versions of Window, then surely somewhere in the developers SDK or other database of information at Microsoft there is a listing of these items with proper documentation of the meaning of each code, or they would mean nothing. Somebody wrote the code numbers, so surely there is a list available somewhere.  I really do appreciate all your help in this matter, and hope that you DO forward the information to Microsoft.  As to your response about the frustration of trying to reach tech support, I have no problem pushing into their live chat area if that is what it takes to get them to respond.  If you have paid for a service, you should be able to use it.  Thank you again for your help.  I will be awaiting your response and a response from Microsoft.  Thanks

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:50 AM
  • Thanks, sirrus8. I'll forward the concern on. Hopefully we can help others encountering the same issue in the future this way.

-steve

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:50 PM