Domain Rank, Page Rank? RRS feed

• Question

• What is a meaning of domain rank versus page rank?

My domain rank shows all 5 green blocks and pages rank between 3 and 4 green blocks.

How does one interpret it?

Thanks.

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:06 AM

Answers

• I am working on a article on this for our blog down the road, but the long and the short is that these are factors that represent the quality overall (domain rank)  and of each page (page rank)  we have other factors as well so great page rank and domain rank are not the only ways to get in the index.  More detail in the future.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:01 AM

All replies

• I am curious of the same.

Although I am more curious of how this works:

Domain rank shows a 1/5 green blocks but the actual web pages, well the ones that are indexed thus far, are a 4/5 green blocks.

Also I am curious how to remove indexed pages. I have an old page that no longer exist. I have created redirects using .htaccess but this file does not allow the % values only the spaces but this does not help when the urls are logged with the % and those pages are ranked 1/5 by MSN tools which I fear are causing my Domain rank to fall. This page also has not been crawled since 12/3/07.

Another question: I notice after submitting my sitemap.xml it is now in the indexed list with a ranking of 1/5. In my opinion this should be omitted from the ranking scale as to not create false ranking for the actual site since the xml is a file that only the bots will be looking at.

Thanks and look forward to hearing some explanations from other Webmasters or MSN directly.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:45 PM
  • So am I? wondering how it all works
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:50 AM
  • I am working on a article on this for our blog down the road, but the long and the short is that these are factors that represent the quality overall (domain rank)  and of each page (page rank)  we have other factors as well so great page rank and domain rank are not the only ways to get in the index.  More detail in the future.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:01 AM
  • Hi: just reading this, is the article ready on domain rank and page rank and which other ways can we use to get indexed better.  Thanks, Teriss

Sunday, March 2, 2008 2:43 AM
  • The difference between page rank and domain rank makes sense to me .    Domain refers to my site, page refers to that particular url.  What I can't figure out is why domain rank changes almost every time my tools page is updated.  My site's ( http://solenarodesigns.com ) domain ranking fluctuates between  4 and 5 on a regular basis.  Does anyone know why this would happen?  I assumed that the  Live Search domain rank was similar to Google's page rank for my home page which stays constant until Google updates page ranking for all domains.  This is not the case.  My domain ranking has changed as many as as 3 times a week.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:07 PM
  • I agree with solenarodesigns2.
    It is a good idea to distinguish between the rank of a particular page (example.com/products/shoes.html) and the rank of the whole website (example.com/…).

However the green boxes are meaningless to webmasters if they doesn't indicate what's going on. It is like a thermometer which fluid goes up and down but without any markers on it! Is the temeratur 39, 40 or 37?
    Where is my benefit to know my domain ranks at 5 boxes and some pages are between 3 and 4 but none of them are in the top 20. There must be a connection from "how good is my site" to 3, 4 or 5 boxes.

Jeremiah, what about the blog article? Don't write a thesis please give us some feedback of what means what in your tools!
    Monday, April 7, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Page rank is just for website rank, like idearibbon.com the wedding tulle and accessories site. Google year ago gives 3/10 -4/10  rank for its google purpose.  However the more impotant is the page itself.  3 secrets, sales,sales,sales.
    check it here
    Monday, June 9, 2008 7:39 AM
  • I am wondering how accurate the domain rank and page rank are. My domain ranks 5/5 green blocks, and my top 5 pages are all 5/5 green blocks. However, as much as I wish my site was near perfect, I know its not. This would mean that my site is possibly as good if not better than my competitors sites who have been around much longer and have a lot bigger budgets and more content than I.

I guess there just needs to be a more clear explanation of how this ranking works.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:37 AM