System Crashed - Restored - When to reboot? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

My system drive crashed on me 2 days ago. After doing some research I found the best was was to reinstall WHS and using restore, not new installation. Everything looked okay, the install ran and after a few reboots came up to a screen with a status bar showing "Restoring files". It was running for an hour or two chugging along but with like 500gb of data including PC backup's I figure it may take some time. I went to check on it and it looks like the system went into sleep mode or something. The monitor, mouse and keyboard are all dark but the HD light is still flashing like it is working. I am guessing it's in slepp mode but still restoring?? Is that even possible? I don't want to reboot it unless I know if it's safe but then again how long should I wait? Has anyone gone through this and if so did you run across this?

Thanks in advance!!

Craig
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

It's entirely possible your PC has shutdown the monitor and it won't wake up but the restore process is still ongoing.  If you press the caps lock key does the indicator on the keyboard change?

500GB will probably take about 5 Hours to tear through - also the download and installation of updates could take another hour.  I would leave the system alone for a while longer.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for the response Al. I started the restore about 12 hours ago, I last checked it about 2 hours ago. I didn't try the cap lock key but I would have expected to see either the mouse lit or the num locks key on. I am hopefull that when I get home from work today it will be done but if it isn't that's when I am going to go into panic mode. If I lose all of that data I will cry and my wife will kill me :)
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:35 PM
  • I'm pretty sure you'll be able to recover your data even if your server is hosed. If nothing else works there's always this.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:30 PM