"old" product keys not working with the new beta version? RRS feed

• Question

• i just have installed the new beta in an virtual machine and tried to activate it with the old keys i got for the first version (i have 2).

activation was rejected with error code 0xC004C008 ("The activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used.") and under https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ProductKeys its for me not available to request a new key either.

is there something i need to do especially for the old keys to be accepted?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:37 PM

Answers

• I just got a product key. First, click on "Request new product key" and then scroll down to the bottom of the page. You should see: Vail Public Preview and Refresh Product Keys with the new key beside it.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message news:56b5526c-2092-4f2d-9478-41c7cf964846@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

No product keys are available for the new build yet. The product key you could obtain from Connect is for the previous build.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:27 AM

All replies

• No product keys are available for the new build yet. The product key you could obtain from Connect is for the previous build.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:47 PM
  • I'm looking at a page right now:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ProductKeys

entitled "Vail Public Preview and Refresh Product Keys"

So this is NOT for the refresh - even though it states it is?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:48 PM
  • I just got a product key. First, click on "Request new product key" and then scroll down to the bottom of the page. You should see: Vail Public Preview and Refresh Product Keys with the new key beside it.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message news:56b5526c-2092-4f2d-9478-41c7cf964846@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

No product keys are available for the new build yet. The product key you could obtain from Connect is for the previous build.

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:27 AM
  • They are the same keys... and the one I tried worked for me for the refresh. They just
    changed the description to indicate they are for both.

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --------------------------
    "Nancy Ward" wrote in message
    news:59b8044a-f040-453c-bd9d-f329963eff70@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I just got a product key. First, click on "Request new product key" and then scroll down
    to the bottom of the page. You should see: Vail Public Preview and Refresh Product Keys
    with the new key beside it.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:56b5526c-2092-4f2d-9478-41c7cf964846@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

No product keys are available for the new build yet. The product key you could obtain from
    Connect is for the previous build.

Nancy Ward

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:04 AM