Hard Drive Failing Message RRS feed

• Question

• Just had a warning of a HD problem and received this message:

"Storage Status: Volume with name Unformated volume \\?\volume-{79b9ee48-0d6a-11de-91d0-003018ae0cbd}\ has failed. Please check hard diskand try to repair to fix errors for disk"

All drives show as healthy and the repair option is greyed out. I have run chkdsk on the drives, no errors reported

A look at the event viewer contains the following:

Assertion failure at d:\wssg_scr\whs_pp1\qhs\scr\storage\qsm\qsm.cxx(18621):pVolRunner->vdf.nDisks > 0

Anyone have any ideas as to what drive it might be? I have 4 drives in system. A 320 GB System/Data drive. 2-250 GB and 1 640 GB. 

How do you interpet these messages?

I am now running Spinrite on the drives, so all is still clean 

Bud - Alameda, CA
    Monday, March 23, 2009 4:58 PM

All replies

• budgall said:

Just had a warning of a HD problem and received this message:

"Storage Status: Volume with name Unformated volume \\?\volume-{79b9ee48-0d6a-11de-91d0-003018ae0cbd}\ has failed. Please check hard diskand try to repair to fix errors for disk"

All drives show as healthy and the repair option is greyed out. I have run chkdsk on the drives, no errors reported

Assertion failure at d:\wssg_scr\whs_pp1\qhs\scr\storage\qsm\qsm.cxx(18621):pVolRunner->vdf.nDisks > 0

Anyone have any ideas as to what drive it might be? I have 4 drives in system. A 320 GB System/Data drive. 2-250 GB and 1 640 GB. 

Bud - Alameda, CA

Any chance you at one point had a drive in the server (either in the pool or as a backup drive), that drive is no longer connected, and WHS is now seeing it as a "failed" drive?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:00 AM
  • kariya21 said:

budgall said:

Just had a warning of a HD problem and received this message:

Bud - Alameda, CA

Any chance you at one point had a drive in the server (either in the pool or as a backup drive), that drive is no longer connected, and WHS is now seeing it as a "failed" drive?

No. The first 3 drives were in the system since day 1, the 640 GB drive was added about a month later. The system was built about 3 days after the orginal release of WHS and has been pretty solid. I have run check disk on the drives, spinrite and the diagostics from the manufactures. All tests have passed.

The error messages gives me no clue as to which drive is having the problem. The first message recommends I run a repair, but repair is greyed out for all drives and all drives report thet are healthy. 
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Does anyone have a clue on how I can resolve these errors?
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:32 AM
  • budgall said:

Does anyone have a clue on how I can resolve these errors?

Bud - Alameda, CA

The qsm logs might tell you which drive this is but your best bet is to submit a bug for this so we can escalate this to a developer.

The logs are available here:

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Thank you, I will check logs. I have submitted to connect, hopefully someone will respond.
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:29 AM