Can I run iTunes on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I want to install WHS on a HP Z545 and use it as it is intended except for one scenario. I want to be able to have my Tivo access the iTunes playlists and stream music from WHS to Tivo to my stereo. Tivo can read the iTunes playlists but only if the Tivo software and iTunes software is installed on the machine. Can I do this on WHS?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:57 PM

All replies

• iTunes can be installed on WHS, but there are issues.

First, it needs to run in the security context of a logged-in user, so you would need to dedicate a user to that purpose. Administrator is the only id that can log in to WHS interactively by default, so that's probably not a good idea. You could manually create a user with the appropriate rights outside of the WHS user creation interface, but I don't know if that counts against your 10 user limit. A user you create using the WHS Console definitely will count against the limit.

Next, you'll have to set iTunes up to run as a service, under the account you've chosen. This is not convenient, becuae you won't be able to add music to it's library (or otherwise tweak it) while it's running as a service. You'll have to stop the service, run iTunes interactively, and restart the service when you're done. This will require you to log in to the WHS as an administrator (to stop/start the service) and then as the same user iTunes is configured to use. If you decide not to set iTunes up as a service, you need to leave the account it runs under logged in to the WHS console at all times.

In my opinion, a much better solution is something like Firefly Media Server. You'll have to do a little bit of configuring at installation, but it will automatically add new media placed in it's library to the published playlists the next time it scans the library, and it's a DAAP provider, just like iTunes.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:25 PM
  • If you do want to set up iTunes to run as a service,  I use iHomeServer to run iTunes as a service so that i don't have to login as a user. Seems to work pretty well and also helps auto-add and clean my music collection.... Installation on Windows Server 2003 worked flawlessly.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:53 PM