master Hard drive only shows 128gb and is 320gb RRS feed

• Question

• I have a gateway E-3600 My motherboard is a intel P4 D845PT CPU 1.60GHz with 2gb of Memory.
    My master 120gb hard drive failed. Reading the instructions from the WHS Getting Started guide, it says,"At least two internal hard drives with 300 GB as the primary (system) hard drive"
    So I used a 320gb Hard Drive as my master.....well, It only reads it as 128gb.
    There is no setting in my Bios to set it to read a bigger Hard Drive.
    Any help to make this old system see my hard Drive as a 320gb would be much appreciated.
    (I guess i could just reformat the hard Drives and use the 120gb as the master so i would not loose all that valuable storage space??)

Vince L
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:46 AM

All replies

• Does your bios find the 320 GB? I recall having updated bios firmware on older machines to get past some limit around 130 GB.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:26 AM
  • It sounds like you need to turn on LBA addressing. Probably this means that you will need to obtain a newer BIOS and flash the motherboard with it. You'll have to contact Gateway for a newer BIOS, I'm afraid.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Yea, It shows it in the Bios as 320 but says that the Max capacity is 137447mb,
    Thanks.....I have gone that route with Gateway and also with Intel. My problem is that everytime I try to upgrade the BIOS, I get an error, cannot upgrade your BIOS, Not the right operating system, Blah......  I could put XP back on and upgrade, then reinstall windows Server but I think I might just keep as is and if I have any problems, I will just switch out the 320 for the 120. Everyonce in a while I get a blank screen for a few seconds...Maybe my board is going out anyway?
    Vince L
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Check the manual of your disk - some disks have a jumper to limit the size for compatibility purposes.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:32 PM
  • i will look into that...thanks

Vince L
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:31 PM