Another Dell with "Fake" Software RRS feed

• Question

• Got a computer from Dell in last year, has been failing validation check for months.

Have tried asking Dell for New Software S/N, but his answer was he had to talk with his Microsoft contact (Several Months Ago)

My Dell Salesman, Shane Cannon, Says he has exhaused everything he can do.

There are two other Dell computers at my company with the same problem(s).

Used New WGA tools results are below.

Are these actual good numbers and failing at Microsoft? or is Dell Pirating software

and we are caught in the middle. Do We need to report them?

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.1):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VT7JW-HHG6W-3XG9T
    Windows Product Key Hash: y6cFieYFJ/lq/ChBKLnKxNORrfE=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-6534665-23970
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: B5T6R46
    ID: 04122213-edcd-42d2-9d89-080a9c122cb3
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>04122213-edcd-42d2-9d89-080a9c122cb3</UGUID><Version>1.5.0526.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PID>55274-648-6534665-23970</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1935655697-73586283-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Model>Precision WorkStation 470    </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.                </Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040902000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>C33833FF0184927D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91CA0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>120</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>55A7E5305C31714</Val><Hash>0gxWAWL1TfT+UELbNZa6n21UR1o=</Hash><Pid>70160-OEM-5690672-73126</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:00 PM

Answers

• It appears someone installed a pirated, illegal "Volume License" version of Windows XP Professional on the Dell computer in question. Dell does not sell computers with Volume Licenses....they only sell "OEM licenses".

You have two options:

1. Find or order the Dell "Reinstallation CD" for Windows XP and perform a "clean install" of the Windows XP operating system that shipped with the Dell computer originally:

Clean Install Windows XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

or:

2. Purchase a conventional "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional and perform a "repair install" using the new, genuine, Windows XP Professional CD and the Product Key that comes with it. 

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:24 PM
  • You nailed it Leroy.

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. We have seen numerous issues from customers much like yourself that were provided a Volume License key on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake key generator. Windows Genuine Advantage currently provides checks for these type keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid keys are being identified daily and WGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified keys and blocks them.

If you believe your Volume License Key (VLK) is Genuine please refer to the following steps to confirm it.

1) If you are a Microsoft Volume Licensing customer you should contact your Reseller and address the issue with them directly.

2) Refer to this site for information concerning VLK’s  http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx#EJG

3) If your reseller did not keep a record of your key, is unable to assist you or can no longer be contacted please call the approproate number here to confirm your Volume Licensing Agreement directly with Microsoft. The below Licensing FAQ will provide you with all the information needed to contact Microsoft directly about your Volume Licensing agreement:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/faq.mspx

4) If you believe you have been sold counterfeit software you can provide Piracy information using the below link:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx 

5) If your issue is still not resolved you may Purchase a copy of Windows XP or if you believe you have an existing valid Product Key and change the existing product key using the following MS Knowledge base article to change the VLK only. This will not work when trying to change the Blocked VLK to a Retail or OEM Product Key.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/en-us

6) If you are attempting to change the existing key to a valid OEM or Retail key please follow the repair installation outlined in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341

If all the above steps fail you can create a free WGA Support incident using our On-line Assisted support option here:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

hth

dave

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:17 AM
  • i guess only option is to wait til first of year and bypass this BS and just get a copy of vista and fix it then.

Would be very stupid of me to buy another copy of an expiring software at microsofts inflated prices.

Thanks anyway for no help..

Ed

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:44 AM

All replies

• Ed:

Can you verify that the COA on the computers matches their Product Key?

Information about locating COA stickers is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Would you know if any of the computers you are having problems with have been taken in for repairs that might have caused the person repairing them to reinstall Windows?

Thanks,

Greg

Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:22 PM
  • It appears someone installed a pirated, illegal "Volume License" version of Windows XP Professional on the Dell computer in question. Dell does not sell computers with Volume Licenses....they only sell "OEM licenses".

You have two options:

1. Find or order the Dell "Reinstallation CD" for Windows XP and perform a "clean install" of the Windows XP operating system that shipped with the Dell computer originally:

Clean Install Windows XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

or:

2. Purchase a conventional "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional and perform a "repair install" using the new, genuine, Windows XP Professional CD and the Product Key that comes with it. 

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:24 PM
  • Have got picture of dell label with number(s) but will not paste to your site. Have already given this info back to dell.

Give me your email & I can send you a copy of this label in jpg or PDF format.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:56 PM
  • Ed:

Can you confirm that the numbers on the sticker match the numbers generated with the WGA tool?

Greg

Thursday, May 11, 2006 4:47 PM
  • Label appears to match link sent, keyboard on green background.

xxxxx-xxxxx-7W8X9-TPQ8W-64QJQ

don't see OEM on tag, telling me I should have reinstallaion CD

Opened up windows xp prod software that came with it and it has visable rings in the underside coating of reinstallation Cd, so I am assuming it's close to useless.

CD has green faced CD labeled "operating System" Already installed on your computer, says Dell on front of it.

Windows XP Pro gives DP/N 0G7624

US - XXXXX

version 2002  "distributed with a new Dell PC only"

Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:51 PM
  • Ed:

Sorry, I had to "x" out the first part of the product key you posted.  I would advise not posting those numbers.

After looking at the product key you just provided they do not match the number shown in the WGA log you provided. It may be that at some point your system has been reinstalled using a VLK, maybe you've had it sent in for repairs? 

Thanks,

Greg

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:11 PM
  • This computer has not been sent out that I know of, Took it out of the box and have been using it daily in engineering? It contains all the design drawings, If it was reformated seems like I would loose all the drawings, etc located on the hard drive.

If something is incorrect how can I fix it?

If product codes don't work for me, why would they work for someone else viewing this site?

Thanks

Ed  

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:50 PM
  • You nailed it Leroy.

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. We have seen numerous issues from customers much like yourself that were provided a Volume License key on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake key generator. Windows Genuine Advantage currently provides checks for these type keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid keys are being identified daily and WGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified keys and blocks them.

If you believe your Volume License Key (VLK) is Genuine please refer to the following steps to confirm it.

1) If you are a Microsoft Volume Licensing customer you should contact your Reseller and address the issue with them directly.

2) Refer to this site for information concerning VLK’s  http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx#EJG

3) If your reseller did not keep a record of your key, is unable to assist you or can no longer be contacted please call the approproate number here to confirm your Volume Licensing Agreement directly with Microsoft. The below Licensing FAQ will provide you with all the information needed to contact Microsoft directly about your Volume Licensing agreement:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/faq.mspx

4) If you believe you have been sold counterfeit software you can provide Piracy information using the below link:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx 

5) If your issue is still not resolved you may Purchase a copy of Windows XP or if you believe you have an existing valid Product Key and change the existing product key using the following MS Knowledge base article to change the VLK only. This will not work when trying to change the Blocked VLK to a Retail or OEM Product Key.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/en-us

6) If you are attempting to change the existing key to a valid OEM or Retail key please follow the repair installation outlined in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341

If all the above steps fail you can create a free WGA Support incident using our On-line Assisted support option here:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

hth

dave

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:17 AM
  • i guess only option is to wait til first of year and bypass this BS and just get a copy of vista and fix it then.

Would be very stupid of me to buy another copy of an expiring software at microsofts inflated prices.

Thanks anyway for no help..

Ed

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:44 AM
  • Ed,

It's far more likely that someone in your organization installed a Volume Licensing version of XP on your computer, and far less likely that the computer shipped from Dell with a Volume Licensing version of XP.

What most don't understand is that Volume Licensing Keys and their supporting agreements are subject to time limits, meaning they can expire, thus last week's genuine is this week's non-genuine, and are subject to confidentiality, meaning that if a key is leaked and MS detects that it is being used on an inordinate number of computers, they will block the key.

Your computer came from Dell with a license you already paid for, why not use it?

Being in the business, I know the response that Dave of MS gave you was a very thorough factually and in tone a professional response.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:59 PM
  • I have installed what was given me by dell, If it would work I wouldn't be having this problem to start with.

I believe this is just another attempt by microsoft to instill more hatred for them among their consumers.

Its working here.... 

Thursday, June 1, 2006 11:43 AM
  • FYI, Windows Vista, when it is released, will not upgrade over a non-genuine version of Windows XP. It is in your best interest to rectify your non-genuine version of Windows XP by installing a genuine version of Windows XP.
    Thursday, June 1, 2006 4:02 PM
  • I guess I will just have to go to a complete install version of vista and reformat my machine then.

Just another step microsoft goes out of its way to screw its customers....

I'm sure we'll see several state & federal law suites against microsoft again over their decision to do that.

Will only cost me a few hows and a few hundred to fix their screw ups...  but will cost them millions in litigation

costs with all the states...  But I guess they never seem to learn...

Thursday, June 1, 2006 6:18 PM
  • I have a question about the genuine advantage check.

Does it not also check the MS Office products?

If so. Could the problem be with your Office2003 installation?

I just used a new green faced DELL Windows XP re-store/re-install and ran all the updates,

both automatic and manual, and it passed the WGA with no problem.

So, could it be something else?  I would like to know for future reference.

Thanks

Saturday, June 3, 2006 5:41 AM
  • REW,

The WGA NT may or may not check for an Office installation and may or may not check to see if it is genuine, I don't know that answer.

I do know that when you run the stand alone diagnostic program that yields the report that many are posting, it DOES check an installed Office to see if it is genuine.

In Ed Hughes' case above, his Office yielded a code of 109, which is genuine.  The most common non-genuine code seems to be 114.

It only makes sense to assume that some time in the future, anything MS is doing to notify users that they are running unauthorized XP installations, and barring these installations from updatingmanually, can be extended to Office as well.

Saturday, June 3, 2006 12:25 PM
  • Ed,

You're not alone.  I am having trouble at many different customer sites; all with Dell PCs.  So far, out of 46 Dell systems, various models, purchased at different times, 3 have been able to install the latest WGA update <<Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)>>.  All the rest have failed.  Contacting Dell results in multiple "try this" responses, with none working so far.  I haven't tried the last option: re-install.  The time, cost, and inconvenience to my customers necessary to re-install all these systems, is just not acceptable.  I've also had this problem on HPs, and generics; all with Windows XP pre-installed.

I have been recommending other operating systems when Windows is not absolutely necessary.  I now use Linux for email and web servers, and Macs for workstations and notebooks whenever possible.  In most situations, my customers don't care what OS their using as long as it does the job, doesn't cost too much, and is not difficult to maintain.  The results of this new approach have been excellent, so far. People really seem to like the Macs.

Who needs this kind of hassle?

Saturday, June 3, 2006 4:29 PM
  • You are not much of a troubleshooter, are you?  What is the value of replacing all those computers versus trying to troubleshoot the problem and solving it?
    Sunday, June 4, 2006 2:18 AM
  • By deciding to change OS the user has made an informed decision, and I believe a negative comment like yours does not add to this discussion.  If a consumer is not happy with the quality and service a product is providing them, they are quite within their rights to choose an alternative.  That is one of the positive aspects of a capitalist societies, the consumer does have a choice.

Linux based systems are the workhorses of the www, and without them the web would not be the success it is today! IMO the open source nature of the software is a very positive aspect, and allows companies to reduce their expenditure and this is ultimately passed onto consumers. 

Microsoft seems to have become a victim of its own success, and has been targeted by software pirates and malware because of this.  As with all technology that humans create, it is by its very nature imperfect, therefore nothing created can ever cater for everyone.  Indeed I would suggest that there will never be an OS that is completely 'safe' from hacking or attacks, even with OneCare (but that is a bit off topic).

While I can understand M$ desire to reduce piracy, this should not be to the detriment of its consumers.  I use Mac, Windows XP, and RISCOS systems, and each have their positive and negative aspects, but the WGA is a concern.  My OS are all legitimate, and I have WGA installed on my Windows XP systems successfully, but the experiences of users and the questionable nature of WGA (phoning home) shows a distrust of Microsoft.  Legitimate users who are affected by WGA is disgraceful, they are legitimate users and should not be penalised, or 'accused' of piracy/stealing. Perhaps Microsoft should open a balloon factory as there are that many floating above the task-bar these days :) 

Sunday, June 4, 2006 5:12 AM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:
    You are not much of a troubleshooter, are you?  What is the value of replacing all those computers versus trying to troubleshoot the problem and solving it?

The trouble is time is money and customers feel reluctant to pay for troubleshooting problems caused by a patch whose sole purpose has nothing to do with making the machine more secure or 'fixing' security holes (often generated by previous security fixes anyway) and is, as far as the customer is concerned, totally unnecessary.

Intrinsically, the value of machines in the uk, is at an all time low (apart from the cost of monitors if you are talking TFTs). In some cases, it's cheaper to throw out a machine rather than spend many hours trying to find the reason for a fault and (now) maybe having to buy another copy  of XP pro (over £100 in the uk) and buy a new machine with XP pro preinstalled. Maybe this is MS's ultimate goal.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 7:11 AM
  • So I'm not alone!

Have a ACER aspire bought in back in 2002 in Thailand from a genuine ACER dealer. Brought the machine to Bangladesh and now after so many years I find a po-up this morning mentioning that my windows soft ware is fake. And have to buy a new " key" to make it genuine again. Why is this happening? I cannot go back to the vendor in Thailand because now I'm living here. And the ACER dealer in Bangladesh says simply to buy a new windows...... who can give some advice?

Thursday, June 8, 2006 11:31 AM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:
    You are not much of a troubleshooter, are you? What is the value of replacing all those computers versus trying to troubleshoot the problem and solving it?

Carey,

1.No need for personal abuse or questioning someone's technical ability. It helps no-one.
    2.Time is money. From what I heard of the MS WGA "support" annd Customer Support on WGA in the UK it's probably cheaper and quicker to re-install
    3.He didn't cause the problem - MS did.

Fred
    Thursday, June 8, 2006 2:47 PM
  • Please follow this simple troubleshooting procedure:

1. Download and install the MGA Diagnostic Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

2. After running the MGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard".

3. Next, visit the following website and create a post in the "WGA Validation Problems" forum and paste the results of the WGA Diagnostic Data in a detailed post. http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/default.aspx?SiteID=25

4. A WGA troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and recommend an appropriate solution.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 3:02 PM
  • PAMT,

This post may help clear things up a bit:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=449215&SiteID=25

Thursday, June 8, 2006 3:30 PM