Receiving message: CAnnot change virus and spyware protection settings RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a message after installation of one Care:  Cannot change virus and spyware protection settings. When I clicked on the link to this site in the window, received message, Windows cannot find Mozilla Fire fox.  When I closed that window, Internet Explorer opened and I was at support.

History of actions taken:

I have been trying to resolve this problem since Monday and have been working on it for about 3-4 hours each day.  It started because I had trouble with AVG anit-virus because it would not execute and run scans.  I uninstalled it.  Tired reinstalling and received messages that the files were corrupt.  I purchased the program, tried to install from CD and still got the same message.  then tried other companies free downloads.  Was able to install Spybot.  Ran scan in the file names that it was scanning a file "vario.antivirus" showed up, but I didn't see the name on the problems identified by Spybot. 

Tried to install virus programs again, same problem.  Called Microsoft security support.  Could not run Safety Scan for three tries.  Finally ran complete safety scan in safe mode.  One problem was found. Can't remember if it was repaired. 

Called Microsaft security center support.  Technician did easy assist.  Said he did not find any viruses.  Ran all the repair tools.  Still could not turn on any of the protections.  He started a malware detection tool or something, don't remember then name.  Told me to wait for it to run.  It took about 3 hours to run and it did not detect anything. 

I was instructed to reboot the computer after I completed that scan and then run two repair tools that the technician placed in a folder on my desktop:  Antimalware Repair and RepairBootIni.

I successfully ran Repair Bootini and not problems.  Could not run Antimalware Repair.  Received window saying that the soft ware you are installing for this hardware:

Anitvirus

has not apssed Windows logo testing to verfy its compatibility with Windows XP.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 8:38 AM

Answers

• The latest (download) version of OneCare won’t install unless you allow it to remove AVG, because AVG is designated as a conflicting program. From your description of your attempts at online scans and antivirus downloads, it sounds like you were assuming that the OneCare antivirus and spyware protection service was failing to start because of preexisting malware. But if AVG and OneCare were both installed, it’s more likely that OneCare and AVG were both failing because of the conflict that OneCare is now designed to prevent. The first thing you need to do, assuming that you would prefer to use OneCare, is to make sure that any other memory-resident (monitoring) security software is removed, and cleaned up, if there’s an available clean-up tool. To eliminate the possibility that the problem is caused by malware, you should attempt to run some alternative online scans, rather than attempting to download and install additional security software.

After you’ve done your best to clean up the system you can try rerunning antimalwarerepair.exe, which seems to be the standard prescription for this problem. If that fails, you can uninstall OneCare, run the clean-up tool, and then reinstall: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Judging from the file corruption that you reported and the strange error message that you got when you attempted to run antimalwarerepair.exe, it’s possible that you may have other systemic problems, or complications resulting from failed installs, that will require you to contact Support: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Monday, September 8, 2008 4:17 PM