Error Code 0xC004F061 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so here's My problem. My computer came with a legal copy of windows XP I decided to do a "clean upgrade" l to windows Vista  home premium i did a clean install because i didn't want my old filed on my hard drive. Unfortunately for me i have an "update key" I don't understand why this cd key wont activate seems how i paid for it. I find this problem to be very ridiculous as all the solutions available to me seem to require me to reinstall windows XP which is something i cannot do because my OEM (HP) did not ship me recovery disks for my CPU they instead used a recovery partition something i removed when i did this install. What do i do to resolve my problem. I've looked around on other forums and have seen i can do an upgrade over my exsisting install of vista and it should work.

Returning the software is not possible as it was purchased at walmart and the box is opened. I know the policy its my current place of employment. My OEM HP will not ship me an HP recovery disk with out a payment which i cannot do because i do not have a credit card or the financial means being a Student.
    • Edited by Ryanr351 Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:13 AM Rename Question
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:02 AM

Answers

• Hello Ryanr351,

An upgrade version of Vista must be installed as an upgrade to an already existing Windows OS. 

Since you have already said that you no longer have the install disk for your former XP OS, you won't be able to upgrade from that XP OS.

But, there is a workaround for this type of situation.  If you haven't done so already, do a clean install of Vista on that computer.  As you have found out, that Vista won't accept the Upgrade Key because that Vista wan't upgraded from another Windows OS. At this point, that version of Vista is in Trial Mode untill a valid (non-upgrade) product key is entered. 

Now, boot into the Trial Mode version of Vista and then put in the Vista Upgrade disc.  When the install screen comes up, select "Upgrade Install"  (do not select custom install).  Enter the Upgrade Product Key and finish the "Upgrade" process and you are done.

Since you didn't have the XP to upgrade from, we just substituted the Trial Mode Vista (in place of the XP OS) and then used your upgrade key to upgraded from it.

I hope my explanation is understandable,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:59 PM