none
Buy, build or dont bother? RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering Windows Home server to use on my network after researching other NAS devices which all seemed to have one issue or another. So I am wondering what is the best option to get startted with WHS, buy a retail unit (which one is best), build one myself or not even bother? I will be using 2 Vista laptops, 1 Vista desktop and an Xbox 360. Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:23 AM

All replies

• I have just finished building my own WHS (yesterday). I can honestly say that it is worth the effort whether you build your own or buy a ready built system.

I had no real trouble... Gigabyte GA-EP45- DS3 M/B, Intel E8400, 4GB RAM, 3 x WD 500 GB Drives + 1 x 120GB. I did have to rebuild once after the initial install but I am using WHS as a home theatre PC also so I am doing a few non-standard, unsupported things.

A great piece of mind knowing all your PCs are backed up daily without having to think about it.

Is it worth buying ready built? Can't say but I suspect not if you are technically minded. If you aren't then probably yes!
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Thanks. The only retail units available seem to be the HP's, I havent seen anywhere selling the Acer or any other brand. The HP's are normally priced in the $600's and I'm not sure if that is good value. Plus if going the DIY route will Gigabit make that much difference? My current router is on 10/100.

Another question, my old pc runs an Athlon XP 2100+ with 2GB ram, however the mobo does not support SATA. Is it a good option to buy a PCI SATA controller card and connect two 1TB drives to that and just use that as my server?

During my search I found WHS doesnt support RAID, how do you actually backup your WHS?
    • Edited by efjay Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Thanks. The only retail units available seem to be the HP's, I havent seen anywhere selling the Acer or any other brand. The HP's are normally priced in the $600's and I'm not sure if that is good value. Plus if going the DIY route will Gigabit make that much difference? My current router is on 10/100.

That really depends on how you intend to use it.  If you're streaming HD content, it probably would be a good idea.  If not, I don't think it matters that much (except for the data copy speeds will be slower).

Another question, my old pc runs an Athlon XP 2100+ with 2GB ram, however the mobo does not support SATA. Is it a good option to buy a PCI SATA controller card and connect two 1TB drives to that and just use that as my server?
    My suggestion:  use a PATA drive as your primary drive.  In case you ever need to do a Server Reinstallation, it's much simpler if that is your primary drive.  As for the rest of the drives, sure.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:11 AM

That really depends on how you intend to use it.  If you're streaming HD content, it probably would be a good idea.  If not, I don't think it matters that much (except for the data copy speeds will be slower).

My suggestion:  use a PATA drive as your primary drive.  In case you ever need to do a Server Reinstallation, it's much simpler if that is your primary drive.  As for the rest of the drives, sure.

Thanks. At the moment I dont have plans to stream HD content but that is good to know if I decide to. As for the controller/drives question, I will only be able to have 2 drives physically in the box. Per your suggestion will the PATA drive be part of the data set or just for the server OS install? I ithink PATA drives are maxed at 500GB which is why I wanted to use 2 1TB drives on a controller card for the maximum space possible.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:04 AM
  • If you consider yourself well above average in technical skills, and able to resolve most computer issues (including odd driver issues, hardware diagnosis, etc.) without assistance, then I would say you should build your own. You can get a much better ratio of price/performance that way. If you consider your technical skills only average to slightly above average, you will probably have a much better end user experience if you buy a pre-built unit such as those from HP.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:14 PM
  • I'd agree with Ken - you'll get more bang for your buck - and far, far better upgradability - building yourself but there's the potential for "interesting challenges" along the way. You can get an IDE SATA controller on ebay for about £12.50 and a gigabit ethernet card for under a tenner, so once built, the main expense will be hard drives...

If you're not repurposing old hardware, stay with the main brands of components (Asus, Gigabyte, etc.) and you're less likely to have driver problems, plus a greater chance someone else has done it before.

The suggestion to use a PATA drive as primary is good as long as the MB doesn't have any SATA ports.

Finally, make sure the power supply is adequate, but not overdimensioned, or your WHS will be heating the house very expensively.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Thanks. At the moment I dont have plans to stream HD content but that is good to know if I decide to. As for the controller/drives question, I will only be able to have 2 drives physically in the box.

IMO, ouch. :)  First thing I would do is find a bigger case.  You are really limiting your future expandability otherwise.  One of the best features in WHS is being able to connect any drive and add it to the pool (and USB drives have been known to cause issues in the past).

Per your suggestion will the PATA drive be part of the data set or just for the server OS install?

Both.  WHS creates a 20 GB OS partition on the primary, then the rest is for data (when there is no room on any other drive in the server).

I ithink PATA drives are maxed at 500GB

Correct.

which is why I wanted to use 2 1TB drives on a controller card for the maximum space possible.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:20 AM
  • I'd agree with Ken - you'll get more bang for your buck - and far, far better upgradability - building yourself but there's the potential for "interesting challenges" along the way. You can get an IDE SATA controller on ebay for about £12.50 and a gigabit ethernet card for under a tenner, so once built, the main expense will be hard drives...

If you're not repurposing old hardware, stay with the main brands of components (Asus, Gigabyte, etc.) and you're less likely to have driver problems, plus a greater chance someone else has done it before.

The suggestion to use a PATA drive as primary is good as long as the MB doesn't have any SATA ports.

I don't agree.  IMO, using a PATA drive (or, at the very least, setting the SATA ports on the mobo to IDE/Legacy mode, if possible) as primary is almost "standard".  Feel free to browse the forums and find out how many users have issues with (Re)installation when using only SATA drives (especially when none of those drives are attached to the mobo directly, as efjay wants to do).

Finally, make sure the power supply is adequate, but not overdimensioned, or your WHS will be heating the house very expensively.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Thanks for the helpful answers and advice. Though there are valid arguments against my intended route my main reasons for choosing my current config are cost and convenience. I have no problems building a server but for the moment I really just want to get going for minmal cost and hassle, plus my requirements are not that great so recycling my old hardware would be sufficient. I will probably upgrade sometime in the future to a better configuration but if this setup does not work I may just accelerate those plans.

Regarding the PATA drive, i am not keen on using that as it currently doesnt perform very well and I imagine it would be worse in use as a server. And I dont think my bios has config options for the SATA ports, though I havent checked yet.

I have some kit incoming from Newegg so hopefully this weekend the install begins.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Thanks for the helpful answers and advice. Though there are valid arguments against my intended route my main reasons for choosing my current config are cost and convenience. I have no problems building a server but for the moment I really just want to get going for minmal cost and hassle, plus my requirements are not that great so recycling my old hardware would be sufficient. I will probably upgrade sometime in the future to a better configuration but if this setup does not work I may just accelerate those plans.

Regarding the PATA drive, i am not keen on using that as it currently doesnt perform very well and I imagine it would be worse in use as a server. And I dont think my bios has config options for the SATA ports, though I havent checked yet.

I have some kit incoming from Newegg so hopefully this weekend the install begins.
    If you don't have any way of setting up SATA drives in IDE/Legacy mode, you will definitely need to install the drivers manually once and perhaps twice (the second time coming after the first reboot when you must press F6 and need to install the drivers from a floppy drive).  Like I said, find a PATA drive instead.  ;)  I seriously doubt you will see much (if any) performance hit if you get a new PATA drive (typically the bottleneck is the network, not the hard drive speed).
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:49 AM
  • So far so good...

My Frankenstien WHS install has gone without a hitch so far. I received my components from Newegg yesterday (very fast delivery) consisting of 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black OEM drives, WHS OEM and a Rosewill PCI  SATA card. The OS install was painless with the install requesting drivers for any storage devices which it detected from my USB drive and then everything went smoothly and completed successfully. Only change I made to my MB bios was to change the Extended IDE drive to None. Was too late to continue so today I will be installing the second hard drive and also a Gigabyte NIC then getting it connected to my router and install the Connector software.

A question on optical drives, is that regularly needed with a WHS? And can an install/reinstall be done from a USB optical drive? I still have one optical drive in the chassis which I can remove to add a third hard drive if I dont need to access an optical drive on a regular basis.

Also any advice on a good Wireless N card for my PC? The one I bought is faster than my old G card but the signal strength is lower with the pc in the same location. This is the card I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180052  Thanks.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 1:38 PM
  • No, you normally don't need an optical drive in your server. The headless units from OEMs such as HP or Acer don't have one at all; you restore them over the network if you need to.

However, you may not have good luck trying to install (or reinstall) from a USB optical drive. If you remove the internal drive you could always temporarily reconnect it instead...

Friday, May 22, 2009 3:08 PM
  • OK, that wont be too much of a problem. I am starting to think now of putting my HD movies on the server and watching them over the house. I already have one Xbox 360, is there any other extender that works with WHS that can be connected to a TV?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 7:14 PM
  • OK, that wont be too much of a problem. I am starting to think now of putting my HD movies on the server and watching them over the house. I already have one Xbox 360, is there any other extender that works with WHS that can be connected to a TV?

FYI, WHS is not a Media Center PC so there is nothing to "extend" (either to an XBox 360 or any other extender device).
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Just to add to kariya21 excellent point:  you will need a second box running something like vista windows media center to use extenders/Xbox 360.  The second box would be a client to your WHS and can read recorded TV files, video files, music etc. stored on the WHS.  The extenders would see these files.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Im not sure I understand, the WHS documentation says I can stream to an Xbox 360, is the documentation wrong?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Im not sure I understand, the WHS documentation says I can stream to an Xbox 360, is the documentation wrong?

Streaming (via traditional computer shares) and "extending" (via Media Center) are not the same.  WHS streams media, but it is not a Media Center PC, and therefore, cannot be extended to anything.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:43 PM
  • efjay,

kariya is correct. I have my own home built WHS and the X-Box 360.

I play HD videos (MP4 and WMA) from my server to the X-Box (beautifil image, jsut a shame how noisey the X-Box is!) BUT it is done in the same way as you browse a network share (ie no fancy front end).

If you want the nice "Media Center" front end (nice graphics and preview pics etc) then you need another computer running media center (Either WIndows XP media center edition, or vista premium or vista ultimate). I have tried this from my laptop and it streamed stuff from MY LAPTOP ok. This was before PP2 update. I think after this update you can share a folder on your WHS with a media center PC, that will then stream from your WHS via your other computer too your X-Box.

I wish Microsoft would make WHS act as a media center, even if it were a chargable upgrade!!! This would be a killer application!

Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:43 PM
    I wish Microsoft would make WHS act as a media center, even if it were a chargable upgrade!!! This would be a killer application!
    Have you checked on Connect to vote for, or submit, a product suggestion? I happen to know that there are a lot of suggestions around this topic...:)

Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:20 PM
  • OK, apparently I used the incorrect terminology, so I guess my question should be what other devices can I stream to apart from an Xbox 360?
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:21 PM
  • OK, apparently I used the incorrect terminology, so I guess my question should be what other devices can I stream to apart from an Xbox 360?

WHS uses Windows Media Connect 2.0 for streaming.  Any device that can receive a stream from that app can recieve a stream from WHS (which obviously includes XBox 360).
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:34 PM

I also stream mp3 to my Slimdevices Slimp3 (the very early version of their excellent Squeezebox) using their slimserver running as a service.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:02 PM
    Have you checked on Connect to vote for, or submit, a product suggestion? I happen to know that there are a lot of suggestions around this topic...:)

Yes, I looked over on Connect after you mentioned it, and voted for a few :)
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:03 PM
  • I have just finished building my own WHS (yesterday). I can honestly say that it is worth the effort whether you build your own or buy a ready built system.

I had no real trouble... Gigabyte GA-EP45- DS3 M/B, Intel E8400, 4GB RAM, 3 x WD 500 GB Drives + 1 x 120GB. I did have to rebuild once after the initial install but I am using WHS as a home theatre PC also so I am doing a few non-standard, unsupported things.

A great piece of mind knowing all your PCs are backed up daily without having to think about it.

Is it worth buying ready built? Can't say but I suspect not if you are technically minded. If you aren't then probably yes!
    How have things gone with this mainboard? I have a Gigabyte board and like yours has no 2K3 or WHS drivers so I had to use the XP drivers and I regularly get the "Windows can not load your default profile this may be due to access blah blah if this persists contact you administrator " and last night I got BSOD!!!!! not happy - new drive - new install (after it crashed before) - new cables - new memory - even new case! only thing the same is the mainboard and cpu! So all I can put it down to is that the board doesnt really support WHS?

If anyone has mainboard suggestions I'm all ears as I'm sick to the back teeth with WHS!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:16 AM
  • I have had to move my WHS to a new case and MB and am wondering what is the best way to get going again without losing data. Will I be ok using the drive with my previous install and doing a server reinstall? That should preserve the data partition but some data is under a share with my username, will the data be lost when I recreate the user account? Would using the file manager addin to copy the files in that share to a temp location cause any problems? Thanks.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:58 PM
  • I have had to move my WHS to a new case and MB and am wondering what is the best way to get going again without losing data. Will I be ok using the drive with my previous install and doing a server reinstall?

Yes, it should work fine.

That should preserve the data partition but some data is under a share with my username, will the data be lost when I recreate the user account?

No.  Once you re-create the user in the WHS Console, it will automatically link your user to your personal folder (assuming you give the user the same name as before obviously).

Would using the file manager addin to copy the files in that share to a temp location cause any problems? Thanks.
    I'm not familiar with that add-in.  However, as long as it works within the confines of WHS (meaning it pulls from the UNC path and not D:\shares), it should be ok.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:32 AM
  • I have my new system built but have a problem. One is computer related, in that I cant get past the Verifying DMI pool data message. If I change the boot options manually to boot from CD ROM I can run the WHS disk but I only get the new install option. The setup process does see my old drive and correctly identifies the SYS and DATA drives. Any advice?

Update: I switched to my second hard drive and the bios now detects it and says disk boot failure, which it should as there is no OS installed. It looks like I have to use that to start from scratch again, can anyone advise on where to copy my files over from the old hard drive if I attach it as my secondary drive?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:54 AM
  • I have my new system built but have a problem. One is computer related, in that I cant get past the Verifying DMI pool data message. If I change the boot options manually to boot from CD ROM I can run the WHS disk but I only get the new install option. The setup process does see my old drive and correctly identifies the SYS and DATA drives. Any advice?

Update: I switched to my second hard drive and the bios now detects it and says disk boot failure, which it should as there is no OS installed. It looks like I have to use that to start from scratch again, can anyone advise on where to copy my files over from the old hard drive if I attach it as my secondary drive?

You would need to connect your old primary drive to one of your clients and copy the data from x:\DE\shares to your server.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:49 PM
  • I tried this by logging into the server itself, found the files but when trying to access the Shared folders shortcut on the desktop I get an error that access is denied. I followed the instructions in the FAQ so I'm not sure why I am getting this message. Anyway I am copying it to another HDD in a USB enclosure and will transfer it again over the networl but I would like to know why the copy procedure to the shared folders didnt work. Thanks.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Well everything seems to be running ok for now. My system now consists of a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard, 3Gb Ram, OCZ 600w PSU, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 with Thermalake cooler, Coolermaster case with 6 drive bays and 2x 1TB WD black HDDs. Is this a good system? One of my pc's has already backup up over Wifi (now a Wireless N network) and my data was successfully copied over as well.

Just a few things I noted, after getting the Nic setup I had trouble downloading updates even though I had successfully activated over the internet. There seemed to be a conflict with manually running an update and the automatic downloading happening in the background; leaving the background downloading the updates worked while manually initiating an update said download failed for all updates. Never observed that with my desktops before.

Also I noticed when I turned on follder duplication for the first time the server got extremely sluggish, over RDP and running the console on my laptop as well. Seemed to clear up after all the data had duplicated but is ths normal? Task manager didnt show excessive CPU usage at the time.

I also had an error report when I logged in but dismissed it, is there a way to retrieve it and see what it said? Thanks.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Well everything seems to be running ok for now. My system now consists of a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard, 3Gb Ram, OCZ 600w PSU, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 with Thermalake cooler, Coolermaster case with 6 drive bays and 2x 1TB WD black HDDs. Is this a good system? One of my pc's has already backup up over Wifi (now a Wireless N network) and my data was successfully copied over as well.

Just a few things I noted, after getting the Nic setup I had trouble downloading updates even though I had successfully activated over the internet. There seemed to be a conflict with manually running an update and the automatic downloading happening in the background; leaving the background downloading the updates worked while manually initiating an update said download failed for all updates. Never observed that with my desktops before.

Probably because you were trying to install updates at the same time the system was (which isn't possible on any OS).

Also I noticed when I turned on follder duplication for the first time the server got extremely sluggish, over RDP and running the console on my laptop as well. Seemed to clear up after all the data had duplicated but is ths normal?

I've never noticed it.  Was this before, during, or after the updates were installing?  What was the component numbers at the time (Settings button, Resources tab)?

Task manager didnt show excessive CPU usage at the time.

I also had an error report when I logged in but dismissed it, is there a way to retrieve it and see what it said? Thanks.
    Depending on the error report, it should either be in the Event Logs (right click My Computer, select Manage, then go to Event Viewer) or in the WHS logs (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs).
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:20 PM

Probably because you were trying to install updates at the same time the system was (which isn't possible on any OS).

Also I noticed when I turned on follder duplication for the first time the server got extremely sluggish, over RDP and running the console on my laptop as well. Seemed to clear up after all the data had duplicated but is ths normal?

I've never noticed it.  Was this before, during, or after the updates were installing?  What was the component numbers at the time (Settings button, Resources tab)?

Task manager didnt show excessive CPU usage at the time.

Depending on the error report, it should either be in the Event Logs (right click My Computer, select Manage, then go to Event Viewer) or in the WHS logs (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs).

Ans 1: Could be, but I didnt do anything I havent done when updating a pc before.

Ans 2: This was after all updates were installed. Server had been shut down, moved to its location and had been running all night before I enabled duplication.

Ans 3: Couldnt find anything that I remembered but there were a lot of errors, mostly to do with the failed install of updates previously but i also see errors relating to my network printer saying the required fax driver is unknown. The printer is a wifi printer and not connected in any way to the server, any idea why I am getting an error on this?
    • Edited by efjay Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:21 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Ans 1: Could be, but I didnt do anything I havent done when updating a pc before.

Probably the timing was just right, but it's simply not possible to install updates twice at the same time.  Once the Automatic Update service is running, there is no way for any other updates to occur until the service stops.  It's been like that since at least XP (and probably 2000 if I had to guess).

Ans 2: This was after all updates were installed. Server had been shut down, moved to its location and had been running all night before I enabled duplication.

Ans 3: Couldnt find anything that I remembered but there were a lot of errors, mostly to do with the failed install of updates previously

Like I said, it can't happen twice. :)

but i also see errors relating to my network printer saying the required fax driver is unknown. The printer is a wifi printer and not connected in any way to the server, any idea why I am getting an error on this?
    That's because you're using RDC to connect to your server desktop.  When you do that, it automatically tries to transfer your local printers to your RDC.  However, since the drivers for that printer are not installed on the remote computer (in this case, your server), you get that error message.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:47 PM
  • OK, thanks for the explanations, seems reasonable. I have a question on SBCore, reading the review of Lights Out it says this service is unnecessary and can be safely disabled but I dont want to mess with such settings unless it is really ok. Can this service be disabled with no side effects? Thanks
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:34 PM
  • OK, thanks for the explanations, seems reasonable. I have a question on SBCore, reading the review of Lights Out it says this service is unnecessary and can be safely disabled but I dont want to mess with such settings unless it is really ok. Can this service be disabled with no side effects? Thanks

First, disabling it would be unsupported (and possibly a violation of the EULA).  I've never disabled it myself (nor have I ever used Lights Out either; I want my server available 24/7), so I don't know.  I know if it was me, I wouldn't disable it.  My suggestion would be to set up a temporary server (either in an extra box or as a VM) and try it there.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:46 PM

First, disabling it would be unsupported (and possibly a violation of the EULA).  I've never disabled it myself (nor have I ever used Lights Out either; I want my server available 24/7), so I don't know.  I know if it was me, I wouldn't disable it.  My suggestion would be to set up a temporary server (either in an extra box or as a VM) and try it there.

Ok, thanks for the input.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Yes, the service can be disabled. It's part of the Windows Small Business Server 2003 licensing model, which you agree to by extension when you install Windows Home Server, so it's technically a violation of the EULA to disable it, but it won't harm your server.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Yes, the service can be disabled. It's part of the Windows Small Business Server 2003 licensing model, which you agree to by extension when you install Windows Home Server, so it's technically a violation of the EULA to disable it, but it won't harm your server.

Thank you for your info as well. I will make a decision either way.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:41 AM