How to upgrade from Vista to 7 using the product key on laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Toshiba laptop that came with Vista preinstalled a few years ago. (I should add at this point that this is my daughters laptop and she seems to have lost the original Vista install disc. I should also add that the laptop was behaving strangely so I ended up formatting the hard drive) Recently I purchased a Windows 7 upgrade 3-pack and tried to install a copy on the laptop. The install process goes so far and then I'm told that it can't find a particular file that it needs to continue. This has me stumped. -- Shouldn't the install get to a point where I get a prompt to enter the Product Key that's on the bottom of the laptop? That's what I was counting on. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• It will never ask for the product key on the bottom of the laptop.  You need to restore Vista first and then use the upgrade.  You can order recovery media for your laptop from the manufacturer or from a third party like Recovery-Disks.com.  A Windows 7 upgrade key will not work if you do a clean install.  It requires the previous version of Windows to be on the hard drive when you start Windows 7 Setup using an upgrade key.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:34 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• "sparky52t" wrote in message news:b9ee24bd-ef8d-456c-9eb6-65d8cc90b153...

I have a Toshiba laptop that came with Vista preinstalled a few years ago. (I should add at this point that this is my daughters laptop and she seems to have lost the original Vista install disc. I should also add that the laptop was behaving strangely so I ended up formatting the hard drive) Recently I purchased a Windows 7 upgrade 3-pack and tried to install a copy on the laptop. The install process goes so far and then I'm told that it can't find a particular file that it needs to continue. This has me stumped. -- Shouldn't the install get to a point where I get a prompt to enter the Product Key that's on the bottom of the laptop? That's what I was counting on. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Please repost this to the appropriate forum - Answers Windows 7 Install/Upgrade

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Exam the Windows 7 DVD and make sure it is absolutely clean...free of smudges, fingerprints or scratches.  Clean it with a soft cloth and a non-ammonia based cleaner.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:25 PM
  • It will never ask for the product key on the bottom of the laptop.  You need to restore Vista first and then use the upgrade.  You can order recovery media for your laptop from the manufacturer or from a third party like Recovery-Disks.com.  A Windows 7 upgrade key will not work if you do a clean install.  It requires the previous version of Windows to be on the hard drive when you start Windows 7 Setup using an upgrade key.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:34 PM
    Answerer