Raxco PerfectDisk 2008 vs OneCare defragger RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I compare the OneCare defragger to the analysis by Raxco PerfectDisk, there are noticable differences in the way Raxco defrags the disk(s) vs. OneCare's defragger.  Is the OneCare defragger new, or is it using the Windows Defragger that is built into Windows XP?  Also, is there a way to set OneCare up to use a user defined defrag app?  I appreciate the quality of the OneCare defragger, but I do notice a performance increase if I defrag with Raxco.

I'm running Windows XP with SP3 installed.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:44 AM

Answers

• Defrag in OneCare is the built in Windows Defrag, executed in a timed mode without performing analysis first.

There is no way to disable it short of a hack to rename the Windows Defrag exe file. There is no option to define a 3rd party Defrag program.

You can, however, use any 3rd party defragger alongside OneCare with no ill results, other than the waste of a little time during Tune-up when Defrag runs.

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:08 PM

All replies

• Defrag in OneCare is the built in Windows Defrag, executed in a timed mode without performing analysis first.

There is no way to disable it short of a hack to rename the Windows Defrag exe file. There is no option to define a 3rd party Defrag program.

You can, however, use any 3rd party defragger alongside OneCare with no ill results, other than the waste of a little time during Tune-up when Defrag runs.

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:08 PM
  •  

I use Diskeeper Ultimate on Vista 64Bit. Wich defrag.exe must I rename? The one in System32 or the one in SysWow64?

The reason I cannot let Onecare Defrag is Diskeeper re-order files for best performance. I think Onecare would break that.

Monday, May 19, 2008 6:51 PM
  • This isn't the thread I was looking for, but it might help you.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3031338&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 7:05 PM