Need help with compatible video formats that will be seen by WHS 2011 video library? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using H264/AVC video with AC3 audio containered in MKV's presently with WHS 2011 media libraries and they are picked up by the library when i add them to a media folder.  I had to use these formats so that my DLNA TV would play them over my LAN.

But when Trying top play these files vie the remote webpage streaming they only play in 4:3 aspect ration instead of there correct 16:9 aspect ratio.  Ive been told that if i convert my video to MP4 then they should play with the correct aspect ratio.

But i tried re-containering my video to mp4 container but they would not be seen by the media library at all and so they could not be played remotely.

I then tried re-encoding one completely to MP4 with AC3 audio and again they wasnt seen by the media library.

Can someone help me out by telling me what formats in what containers are compatible with WHS2011 and will be picked up in the media libraries?

Thanks

JK

john d kenny
    Monday, August 1, 2011 12:05 PM

Answers

• The 4:3 / 16:9 problem is due to a bug in Silverlight and is down to Microsoft to fix.

Try this background reading for WHS Media:

WHS2011 Digital Media

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by bodgeup Monday, April 14, 2014 8:57 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 12:32 PM

All replies

• The 4:3 / 16:9 problem is due to a bug in Silverlight and is down to Microsoft to fix.

Try this background reading for WHS Media:

WHS2011 Digital Media

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by bodgeup Monday, April 14, 2014 8:57 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Thanks but i have gone through those pages before. I can find what formats it should play but it doesnt tell me in what containers i should use and what combinations of audio & video i should use.

Shouldnt it be that if windows media player can play it then the media libraries in WHS 2011 should pick it up as media?  Its just when i try using mp4 it will not get picked up by the media library but as soon as i remux it to an AVI or MKV it is picked up straight away, but does not play at the right aspect ratio? 

Im trying to find a solution which wouldnt involve me having to re convert my entire video collection, which then would mean the video would not work on my TV?  its just the time involved in reconverting video would make the remote streaming feature un-viable for me.

Thanks for your reply.

JK

john d kenny
    Monday, August 1, 2011 12:51 PM