Non-genuine XP Pro to XP Home RRS feed

• Question

• I have just learned that my installed XP Professional Verion 2002, Service Pak 2 is not genuine.

What I would like to do is remove the Professional version and re-install the XP Home version that I purchased and know is genuine.

Can anyone help me with instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:06 PM
  • Thanks Carey.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the article.  Is it saying that I should clean install my Home version of XP over the non-genuine Professional version?

Thanks.

Mike

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:31 PM
  • mmadden,

That is basically the only thing you can do if you want to get XP home on your machine. the Software considers XP Pro an "Upgrade" and will not let you go back to XP home.

Thanks,

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:33 PM
  •  mmadden wrote:

I have just learned that my installed XP Professional Verion 2002, Service Pak 2 is not genuine.

What I would like to do is remove the Professional version and re-install the XP Home version that I purchased and know is genuine.

Can anyone help me with instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:35 PM
  • The Windows XP Home CD is bootable once you open the motherboard's BIOS and set the CD drive as the very first bootable drive. Please read the following for detailed step-by-step instructions:

Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html  

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:58 PM
  • My clean install went well except for one minor detail.

I copied the data I wanted to save and restore to my USB memory device and forgot to remove it and deleted the partition on it instead of my hard drive!  DUH!

Now, I can't restore my data! D***!

Monday, July 17, 2006 10:15 PM
  • Tuesday, July 18, 2006 2:38 AM