Renameing your Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have my WHS withPP1 installed and working but Ii might need to rename the server name I chose to something else. Can I just remote into the server and use the stadard windows tools to rename the server like you would normally or will this break the WHS and become a mess? Thanks Smile

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:50 AM

Answers

• Actually, it is a little more complicated.  You will have to reboot your home server after renaming it and during the reboot process the home server will have to generate a new certificate for the name change, so it may take a few extra seconds to boot.  The certificate creation is behind the scenes and happens during the first reboot after a name change.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That's fine. Just use remote Desktop into the server and change the name.

Afterwards, on each Client, you will need to open Windows Explorer and navigate to Program Files\Windows Home Server, and run 'discovery.exe. This will search your network for the server, and re-set all the connections in the Client Connector to your 'new' server.

Good Luck,

Colin

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:53 PM
  • Thanks Colin for confirming what I thought. I will give it a go if required.

Cheers,

Simon

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Actually, it is a little more complicated.  You will have to reboot your home server after renaming it and during the reboot process the home server will have to generate a new certificate for the name change, so it may take a few extra seconds to boot.  The certificate creation is behind the scenes and happens during the first reboot after a name change.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:55 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Actually, it is a little more complicated.  You will have to reboot your home server after renaming it and during the reboot process the home server will have to generate a new certificate for the name change, so it may take a few extra seconds to boot.  The certificate creation is behind the scenes and happens during the first reboot after a name change.

Hi,

Thanks for the extra info and yes I knew a reboot would be required as I work with 2K3 everyday. I just wanted to make sure it was the same process and the home server would not break.

Thanks for clarification. Smile

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:08 AM