WHS 2011 OEM $69.99 in USA RRS feed

• General discussion

• Available from NewEgg at $69.99 - no reason not to upgrade?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:28 AM

All replies

• Darn good deal for sure.

The price sure dropped fast, wonder why.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Fire Sale!!!

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Darn good deal for sure.

The price sure dropped fast, wonder why.

BullDawg
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:26 PM
  • I saw this and was debating purchasing.  Does anyone know how long the RTM version will keep working?
    Friday, July 15, 2011 5:27 PM
  • I saw this and was debating purchasing.  Does anyone know how long the RTM version will keep working?

It it is from a Technet/MSDN-subcription, I don't believe there are any "use before"-dates.
    You can use it as long as needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Friday, July 15, 2011 6:32 PM
  • It it is from a Technet/MSDN-subcription, I don't believe there are any "use before"-dates.

You can use it as long as needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Strictly speaking, you're wrong (sort of), but not in the way you might think. :)

You should carefully read all licenses to make sure you're not violating any restrictions. In general, Technet and MSDN software, including Windows Home Server 2011, has usage restrictions: you are generally prohibited from using it in a production environment, for example (installing from Technet to use as a server at home would be considered "production", weasel words regarding "extended testing" notwithstanding). Figuring out exactly what you can do is pretty tough, though, so use common sense, and remember that Technet is not provided by Microsoft as "all you can eat" software for any use; it costs less in toto than most of the individual packages you can download, after all. An "all you can eat" plan would cost many thousands of dollars, most likely.

There are exceptions. At one point Technet included a specific clause that permitted the use of some versions of Microsoft Office in "production". Partners may also have more rights, particularly at the higher levels. For Joe Average, not so much. So if you think your specific agreement with Microsoft entitles you to more than "testing'evaluation/development" rights, you should check with whoever your usual contact at Microsoft may be to navigate the licensing maze.

@GHook: If you're talking about something you downloaded from Connect, it will be either 120 days or 180 days from installation (I don't remember which), probably with an additional time bomb based on when the package was put together. Technet/MSDN will, as Christian says, be unlimited.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Amazon has it for less than $66 plus free shipping.

-- Richard Hay
    http://WindowsObserver.com
    Unofficial Microsoft and Tech Evangelist
    Host of the Observed Tech PODCAST
    Microsoft MVP Windows Expert-Consumer

"PhilipJH" wrote in message news:ba034b56-6fef-455a-8558-a2d45900d475...
    Available from NewEgg at $69.99 - no reason not to upgrade?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Anyone know if it is possible to buy WHS 2011 for download?

Cant buy from Amazon, it is restricted to the US (I'm located in Europe)

Monday, July 18, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Anyone know if it is possible to buy WHS 2011 for download?

Cant buy from Amazon, it is restricted to the US (I'm located in Europe)

No downloads available unless you have an MSDN or TechNet subscription and then only for testing purposes. Where in Europe - Amazon UK has it for UKP45.99 and Amazon.fr EUR105.

Monday, July 18, 2011 8:12 PM
  • The price on Amazon has now gone up to $10K!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050TVAWS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1L9D0A8YQ4I2J

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Amazon has it for less than $66 plus free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-64-bit-English-Builder/dp/B0050TVAWS

-- Richard Hay
    http://WindowsObserver.com
    Unofficial Microsoft and Tech Evangelist
    Host of the Observed Tech PODCAST
    Microsoft MVP Windows Expert-Consumer

"PhilipJH" wrote in message news:ba034b56-6fef-455a-8558-a2d45900d475...

Available from NewEgg at $69.99 - no reason not to upgrade?

BullDawg
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Actually newegg has it for $59 as of 7-26-11.  to me that say microsoft realizes a problem with 2011 when originaly checked it was $119 and has steadily dropped in price.  I think for now I will stau with whs v1.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:18 AM
  • My $52.95, delivered, copy should arrive tomorrow. Try Google shopping with the SKU CCQ-00128.

Perhaps the price drops have something to do with the product's essentially nonexistant OEM market here in the US? We've been told here for several months now that this stuff takes time and Real Soon Now the floodgates will open and OEM WHS 11 systems will be readily available. Another month has passed. Nary a drop has appeared. Just saying.

Want a laugh? Go to one of these newfangled Microsoft stores and ask about WHS... Even after you tell them that stands for "Windows Home Server" you are still likely to get a blank stare.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:51 AM