(Re)Installation of Windows Live One Care RRS feed

• Question

• Hello--

I am in need of help in renewing my protection service with Windows Live One Care. A year ago I bought my laptop and the clerk at the store set everything up, including my protection for the computer. I didn't realize until the subscription was about to be up that he installed it with a fake email address and even though I've gone through the process of renewing under my current email, it will not accept the ID. How do I change this so that I can get this new subscription?

Thanks in advance!
    amhess
    Monday, October 6, 2008 11:33 AM

Answers

• amhess,

Actually, it appears to me from your description that you have successfully created a new subscription using your own Hotmail account ID as your Live ID. If that is correct, you should be able to log back into that account at http://billing.microsoft.com and verify that there is a Windows Live OneCare subscription, including the date of creation and renewal.

If the above is correct, then all you need to do is uninstall Windows Live Onecare from your PC, then reinstall it and use the new account information to acitvate the subscription on the PC. You must do this because as you've discovered, the existing Live ID based subscription won't allow you to activate using the new Live ID, so the old one must be removed first via the uninstall.

DO NOT try the uninstall until you are certain that the new Live ID account actually shows a valid subscription, since you won't be able to re-activate using the old Live ID. If what Steve believes you have stated is correct, please follow his instructions instead.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 6:33 PM

All replies

• Did you actually renew or did you fail to renew? I suspect it is the latter, since you need to use the LiveID for your subscription in order to renew.

If you do not know that LiveID/password and cannot get these from the store, then your best bet is to remove OneCare via Control Panel, Programs and Features (Vista), Add/Remove Programs (XP), and then install from http://onecare.live.com. Subscribe using a LiveID of your choosing and provide payment information or select the option to subscribe with a product key/token if you have purchased a retail copy.

-steve

Monday, October 6, 2008 4:18 PM
  • I couldn't figure out how to get the password that the Circuit City store worked setup, so I thought I could just redo it through my already established hotmail account. I went through the process and at the end it said to go to the Window Live One Care page and click on "subscribe" or something like that and I couldn't do it because it wouldn't allow me to enter any email address other than the bogus one that was set up for me. My bank account has already been deducted the amount for the yearly subscription. I went back into the WLOC and there was a link that said I could remove the current ID by "removing machine." I did that, yet it didn't allow me to put my own ID in.  How do I change the ID because the current ID isn't showing up as having paid for the service.

Thanks,
    amhess
    Monday, October 6, 2008 7:55 PM
  • It sounds like you managed to renew without actually signing in with the password needed, which is unfortunate. Had you failed to renew, creating a new subscription with your new ID would be fairly easy.

You should have received a form from Circuit City with delivery of the PC after OneCare was installed, noting the LiveID and password for your OneCare account. If you can locate that, you can "subscribe" or activate your OneCare copy by clicking subscribe in OneCare and logging in with that ID and password.

If you can't locate the form from Circuit City, you will need to contact support to get the LiveID password for your account reset or to cancel the renewal and obtain a refund so that you can start fresh with a new subscription with your preferred LiveID.

I suspect that you will need to initiate the support request via email as a trial user per the FAQ:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:45 PM
  • amhess,

Actually, it appears to me from your description that you have successfully created a new subscription using your own Hotmail account ID as your Live ID. If that is correct, you should be able to log back into that account at http://billing.microsoft.com and verify that there is a Windows Live OneCare subscription, including the date of creation and renewal.

If the above is correct, then all you need to do is uninstall Windows Live Onecare from your PC, then reinstall it and use the new account information to acitvate the subscription on the PC. You must do this because as you've discovered, the existing Live ID based subscription won't allow you to activate using the new Live ID, so the old one must be removed first via the uninstall.

DO NOT try the uninstall until you are certain that the new Live ID account actually shows a valid subscription, since you won't be able to re-activate using the old Live ID. If what Steve believes you have stated is correct, please follow his instructions instead.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Thank you, OneCareBear!

You saved the day Smile I am all set up and hope that the renewal process next year is a bit easier.

Thanks again for your help!

amhess
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:00 PM
  • I'm also having an issue like this.  I bought One Care around a year ago but failed to renew. I wasn't able to renew . Reasons: suspended, something else etc.. etc. So.... I navigated to the One Care website and purchased a "new" one years subscription.  Before I bought the new subscription I removed the unrenewable version from my computer, rebooted then tried to install the new version.  When I opened One Care I received the old version that said I had to renew? I don't get it, so I read some faq and found that I needed to run a One Care clean up tool after the uninstall, so once again I uninstalled One Care and ran the clean up tool required, rebooted, opened One Care and AGAIN received the old version stating I needed to renew.  So at that point I'd had it and followed the renewing instructions.  I got to the sign in part and used the new e-mail and password I created when I bought the new One Care, but got an error message stating I have an incorrect password.  I tested this magical error and dove over to hotmail and tried signing in and it worked just fine.  I don't understand why I can't install and use my recently purchased One Care.  HELP!!!

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:19 AM
  • In your case, I suspect that the password for your new LiveID is longer than 8 characters. Shorten it at http://account.live.com and try activating again. You can then change the password back after activation. This is a problem with activation not being able to deal with long passwords.

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 3:16 PM
  • Steve, thanks for your response to this, last night I tried everything I could to set up my new account.  As I said I got fed up with trying to renew my account so I indeed bought a new One Care but wasn't able to sign in to set it up.  After failing the sign in I opted to instead try for the last time to renew my old version, and the last time was a charm with a few hickups.  I followed all the instructions after the sign in to subscribe.  I then proceeded to buy ANOTHER subscription.  As of right now I supposedly bought two One Care subscriptions in one night.  The first time I wasn't able to install One Care with the new account information but was able to somehow renew my older version.  Will I be charged twice ?
    Friday, October 10, 2008 6:17 PM
  • If you purchased two subscriptions with two different LiveIDs, you'll be charged twice. You will need to contact support for a refund and cancel one of those subscriptions.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:42 PM