Invalid version of Office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• A little over 18 months ago I purchased a one end licence user version of Office Enterprise 2007 as a download, without an installation disk.  This was a special offer via my academic institution (the Open University) and I subsequently lost a note of the validation key.  Recently my laptop developed problems and I paid to have the hard disk reformatted, with the subsequent loss of all my data.  I managed to back up everything, but could not find a note of the key.  However, the person who carried out the repair told me not to worry as he had a version of Office 2007 that still had end licence users on it and he agreed to install it for me to compensate for the loss of my version.  Since getting the laptop back, whenever I open an Office 2007 application I keep getting a message telling me that my copy is invalid and will be marked as such in several days time (I think I'm now down to 10 days).  I really can't afford to spend a few hundred pounds to buy this again: I'm unemployed and have recently graduated with a Masters degree.  Is there anything I can do?
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:07 AM

Answers

• Hello shakespearswot,

One suggestion that I have for you is to contact the academic institution to see if they have a record of your purchase.

How did they transmit the product key to you?  If by email, do you have a record of the email?  Quite often when you purchase software electronically the seller has you establish an account on their system--did you establish such an account?  If so the product key may be retrievable thru the account.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, December 14, 2009 10:49 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hello shakespearswot,

One suggestion that I have for you is to contact the academic institution to see if they have a record of your purchase.

How did they transmit the product key to you?  If by email, do you have a record of the email?  Quite often when you purchase software electronically the seller has you establish an account on their system--did you establish such an account?  If so the product key may be retrievable thru the account.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, December 14, 2009 10:49 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 2:29 AM
  • The academic offer was just a link to the site supplying the download, so they won't be able to help me: they were the middle men in the transaction.  I've lost everything, and browsing microsoft help sites only seems to inform me where to find the validation key where goods are sold on CD.  I've looked on Microsoft's help site, but as I can't supply any of the original information, except for a knowledge of the month and year when I made the purchase, I appear to have drawn a blank  It was a purely academic offer, requiring a university email address, and that address (if I could remember it) is no longer valid.  Initially Microsoft carries the addition warning that a fee may be involved in helping to retrieve the original validation key.  I searched high and low on my laptop for the info before it was reformatted and believed my engineer when he said he  had a valid version that he could install.  Do you know what will actually happen in a few days when my version becomes invalid?  The warning tells me that it will be marked invalid, but does that mean I will be unable to use it, or that this will be marked on anything I print?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Hello shakespearswot,

Your predicament is the reason that whenever anyone asks me my opinion, I always advise them when purchasing downloaded versions of software, to always order the backup disc even if it costs a few dollars more.  Personally, I am a big fan of having something tangible :-)

To answer your question, "marked invalid" in the context of OGA means that there will be some periodic nags shown to you about the Office installation being nongenuine when the programs start up and such, and there will be a menu item added for "Getting Genuine."  Your documents and data will not be changed by one byte and there will be no changes whatsoever to what is printed when you print you documents.

All in all pretty painless.

BTW, in your original post you cited Office Enterprise 2007 as the editon of Office purchased.  Is is possible that you are in error and it was the Office Ultimate 2007 edition sold to university students under the "Ultimate Steal Deal" promotional moniker?  If so, perhaps the Digital River support site for the Ultimate Steal Deal/UK might be a good place to start:  https://store.digitalriver.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayHelpPage&SiteID=msshgb&Locale=en_GB
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Hello Dan

I didn't get an alert about your last post (on Tuesday) so went ahead and repurchased from Digital River yesterday, as I was getting panicky that I wouldn't be able to use the version that I have installed.  You're right and I made a mistake - it was Office Ultimate 2007.  However when I emailed Digital River a few days ago, requesting help with trying to locate my original validation key, I had no response.  The download and installation went through yesterday, and I paid a few extra pounds for the back up disk, which hasn't arrived yet, as well as paying for the extended download service.  The problem is that I didn't uninstall the version I already had, and I'm still being warned that my version is invalid.  If I go to my programmes and select properties for Office 2007, it tells me that my version is the one that was installed last month.  I'm miffed at having paid out more money for nothing, annoyed that my engineer didn't bother to respond when I contacted him about the invalidation issues (he could have given me the same info that you have, then I wouldn't have worried) and fed up that my version is still marked invalid.  Do you have any further comments?  Should I just leave everything as it is and put up with the nagging from Microsoft, or take further action?

I definitely appreciate your help and advice.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Hello shakespeareswot,

Please download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

The report's Office section will probably show us that you have two installations of Office, the original nongenuine one given to you (perhaps Office Enterprise 2007), and the newly installed Office Ultimate 2007.

If so, then these steps should get things sorted:

1.  From Control Panel/Programs, uninstall the nongenuine Office, then restart twice.

2.  Open Word 2007, activating (if necessary) the newly installed Office Ultimate 2007.  Restart once.

3.  Leaving Office programs closed for the moment, go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and Validate Office Ultimate 2007 normally.

4.  Then, open several Office programs, checking to make sure you no longer see the nongenuine notices.

5.  If no more notices, you have successfully removed the nongenuine Office Enterprise 2007, activated Office Ultimate 2007, validated Office Ultimate 2007, and have one more task, to visit Windows Updates to get your Office Ultimate 2007 up to date with the oodles of patches and service packs.

6.  If still seeing nongenuine notices, there are remnants of the nongenuine Office Enterprise 2007 installation that we still need to clean up.  In such case, post back for more info.

Friday, December 18, 2009 2:03 PM