Faster file access RRS feed

• Question

• It takes a long time for friends and family to download files from the server, especially the larger files. I think this is due in part to the https:// secure login, but is there any way to adjust the speed of accessing and downloading the files on the server? I am not looking for local machine speeds, but more of a regular website download speed.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:43 PM

All replies

• This is primarily limited by your upstream bandwidth. Usually your internet connection has two speeds associated with it. The downstream speed is the one that e.g. Verizon and Comcast are fighting about at the moment. It's the speed that data is sent into your house at. However, there's also an upstream speed, which is normally much lower.

Also, in many cases you never receive your full bandwidth, down- or upstream. 

You can figure out about how long it might take to upload a file pretty easily. If your upstream speed is e.g. 128kbps (something you might see on a slower DSL connection), then you can upload around 12.8 thousand bytes per second (kbps = kilobits per second). If you have a 1 GB file that you're transferring at speed, it will take (in round numbers) 22 hours.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. I am very familiar with upload and download speeds and actually have an upgraded package on my internet for faster speeds. I just thought it would be quicker to access and upload/download files from the server. Maybe one of the newer service packs or editions will speed things up.

Friday, September 4, 2009 8:42 PM
  • It would help if we had actual data... what is the upload rated speed? What is the download the speed from the end user?
    How about upload speed from other programs... FTP server is an easy one to set up. I don't think HTTP downloads are all that reliable.. it could easily be something in the software stack could be slowing things down.

Friday, September 4, 2009 9:09 PM
  • If you have large files to download, I suggest a low cost shared host to download from. It is what I do and use a 1and1.com shared account that cost $3 a month. Cheap, easy, and gives high speed access to specific files.

I am sure there is a FTP program that could sync specific files to a hosting account on a regular time schedule.

Friday, September 4, 2009 11:39 PM