How to recover entire 3TB drive after WHS formats it to 2TB? RRS feed

• Question

• I put a 3TB HD in my WHS and it formatted the drive to 2TB.  I decided not to waste the other 750G, so pulled the drive out and installed it in my Win7 machine.  When I did, only the 750G of unallocated space showed.  I've been playing with DISKPART trying to recover the full 3TB, but it doesn't even see the 2TB that WHS formatted.

Am I using Diskpart wrong?  Is there a better utility to help me remove all of the existing formatting and partitioning so it can be restored to a full 3TB?

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

is your Windows 7 32 Bit or 64 Bit? In which stage do you see that space - during setup or simply attached as additional drive to an existing installation? (I assume you know, that you can use a 3 TB disk only as data disk, but not as boot media, unless your Bios is in UEFI mode?)

If you installed it additionally - internal to the PC or in external enclosure? In disk management console, what do you see from that disk? You will have to change it from Basic to Dynamic disk to get the full size supported. (Basic disks are limited to 2 TB).

If also after cleaning the disk and making it dynamic not the full size is shown, either your SATA controller or the drivers for it may not be able to handle the full size.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:04 PM

All replies

• Use the diskpart "clean" command.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

is your Windows 7 32 Bit or 64 Bit? In which stage do you see that space - during setup or simply attached as additional drive to an existing installation? (I assume you know, that you can use a 3 TB disk only as data disk, but not as boot media, unless your Bios is in UEFI mode?)

If you installed it additionally - internal to the PC or in external enclosure? In disk management console, what do you see from that disk? You will have to change it from Basic to Dynamic disk to get the full size supported. (Basic disks are limited to 2 TB).

If also after cleaning the disk and making it dynamic not the full size is shown, either your SATA controller or the drivers for it may not be able to handle the full size.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Thanks Olaf!

Your note about making it internal was a big clue.  Once internally mounted, I could see the 2 partitions.  Windows wouldn't let me make it dynamic(grayed out).  I downloaded EASEUS Partition Master.  Changed it to a GPT drive, deleted existing partitions, and was able to restore the entire 3tb.  

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:44 PM