corrupt Vista Restore Point RRS feed

• Question

•  

Vista Home Premium, HP laptop, less than 6 months old.  All hardware tests are good.

I have a corrupt Restore Point.

When I open System Properties, System Protection, it takes 8 to 12 hours to show me I have a C and D drive.

When I open System Restore, I click the link and it opens up 4 to 8 hours later and says there are no Restore Points.  If I click to make one now, it hangs forever (I have let it run over 48 hours, it does nothing)

I can no longer install software, including updates.  I suspect the problem is creating the restore point, as it will hang.  I will get a few messages asking me to continue, and the entire process will take over 24 hours ... then most of the time it fails.  A couple of times, the update has taken ... after three or four attempts and days of working on it around the clock.

My System Volume Information folder is 14.7GB.  I have clicked the check-mark by C drive in System Protection, and gotten the warning that this will disable System Restore.  Once I click it, it takes overnight for it to show the drive with the box unchecked.  Once it's unchecked, it still takes the same amount of time to show the drives.  In spite of all that, the folder is still 14.7GB.

I tried to make the size allocated for Restore Points 10.0 GB, hoping it would delete the corrupted one, but that failed.  Here is my command-line attempts (run as an Administrator):

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Johnie>vssadmin list shadowstorage
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Error: Unexpected failure: Catastrophic failure

C:\Users\Johnie>vssadmin list shadows

No items found that satisfy the query.

C:\Users\Johnie>vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=10GB

C:\Users\Johnie>vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=10GB

C:\Users\Johnie>

At this point, I would like any means to clean out the corrupted Restore Point(s) and start with a fresh Restore Point.  I don't wish to wipe the whole drive, as I put a lot of time into getting this laptop set up.

This problem is about 14 days old, before that everything worked fine.

Thanks,

Unreasnbl

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:02 PM

All replies

• I tried to get it to set a new restore point today ... this time it acted differently.  It still failed ...

I opened System Properties, System Protection tab at 6:30.  The "Available Drives" window showed "searching".

The C and D drives showed up in the System Protection tab at 9:30.  Both drives said that they have "none" under "Most recent restore point".

The C drive had a check-mark already, so I Clicked "Create" a restore point and the program began working (as far as I can tell).

The "Creating a restore point" progress bar showed up at 13:20.

At 16:30 new error message popped up :

The restore point could not be created for the following reason:

Shadow copying the specified volume is not supported. (0x8004230C)

Please try again.

It took a lot less time to fail this time.

I forgot to post one of the command-line results:

C:\Users\Johnie>vssadmin List writers

Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
       Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
       Writer Instance Id: {3f701310-9b65-49bc-a7f7-fe603c8337d7}
       State: [1] Stable
       Last error: No error

Writer name: 'System Writer'
       Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Instance Id: {886f8243-cf86-4390-a4ce-fbbfa1b18e3d}

Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
       Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
       Writer Instance Id: {759ef549-b673-42a2-91bd-38fca5b26140}

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
       Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
       Writer Instance Id: {7ec6efcd-44dd-4734-a545-a6c241ddb9a3}

Writer name: 'BITS Writer'
       Writer Id: {4969d978-be47-48b0-b100-f328f07ac1e0}
       Writer Instance Id: {2de11bc8-9162-434f-9198-97726dfed463}

Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'
       Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
       Writer Instance Id: {34b7262e-058e-45d1-ab81-51c831c4604e}

Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'
       Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
       Writer Instance Id: {4147cdf6-9463-44cb-aa3f-e848e622bdc1}

Writer name: 'Registry Writer'
       Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
       Writer Instance Id: {25028627-7983-46cc-bb3d-9f1bb0510d98}

C:\Users\Johnie>

Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:07 AM
  • I am experiencing the same issue on a desktop Dell Vista Home Addition.  An solution from Microsoft would be helpful as I can no longer install any OS updates as Unreasnbl points out above.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:14 PM
  •  

I have a friend with Vista home Premium that had the same issue described in this thread; no System Restore drives were listed in the "Available Disks" tab, any attempt to install/uninstall an application or Windows Updates would hang.  Trying to start the System Restore application (rstrui.exe) did not bring up the GUI at all.

After hours of frustration, the workaround I finally came up with was to run the Services applet (%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc), change the "Volume Shadow Copy" service "Startup Type" from "Manual" to "Disabled", then restart the computer.  NOTE: this does have the unfortunate side effect of totally disabling System Restore (but in this case is broken anyway).  This fixed the inability to install/uninstall any programs -- please try that and let me know if this fixes your issue.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:13 PM
  •  

The restore point could not be created for the following reason:

Shadow copying the specified volume is not supported. (0x8004230C)

Please try again.

I have found the answer to your problem
    Click Start, then open control panel and switch to classic view then open the administrative tools then double click on the services.At the list of services scroll down to Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider. It may have been disabled. If it is disabled simply restart it (Double click it, ensure Start up option is set to Automatic, click Apply then Start).
     it happen to Me and figure how to fix it hope this helps everyone

Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:42 AM
  •  DJM wrote:

I have a friend with Vista home Premium that had the same issue described in this thread; no System Restore drives were listed in the "Available Disks" tab, any attempt to install/uninstall an application or Windows Updates would hang.  Trying to start the System Restore application (rstrui.exe) did not bring up the GUI at all.

After hours of frustration, the workaround I finally came up with was to run the Services applet (%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc), change the "Volume Shadow Copy" service "Startup Type" from "Manual" to "Disabled", then restart the computer.  NOTE: this does have the unfortunate side effect of totally disabling System Restore (but in this case is broken anyway).  This fixed the inability to install/uninstall any programs -- please try that and let me know if this fixes your issue.

BTW, the above problem still exists after installing SP1, and re-enabling the Volume Shadow Copy service, so my advice is to leave this service disabled and not worry about System Restore.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:30 PM