SSRS reports within CRM throws no data available RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community,

Not sure if any one has seen this before, but this one has put me in a twisted state of mind

I have 2 organizations "org1" and "org2" on one CRM 2011 Instance and I have one SSRS installed and configured.

org1:

-SSRS Reports works fine when running in BIDS

-SSRS Reports works fine when deployed to CRM and running from within CRM.

org2:

Same reports after changing the datasource to point to org2 database

-SSRS Reports work fine when running in BIDS

-SSRS Report does not work when deployed to CRM and running from within CRM. It comes as no data available.

Any one got any clue?

-I have tried reinstalling SSRS Reporting extensions.

-I have republished reports to both orgs using PublishReports.exe tool.

-I have even tried creating a brand new report from scratch and after deploying to CRM org2 doesn't come back with any data but it does display data when running from BIDS.

Cheers,

Kunal

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:25 AM

Answers

• So David and Pavlos you were both kind of right, it was a security issue and as mentioned by David it was also that reports were not running in context of the CRM user. When I revisited Report Manager I saw that lot of the reports are deployed and published by on machine name as the user like this: DOMAIN\MachineName$.

I then went and added this guy (DOMAIN\MachineName$) as a user in CRM and volla! 

Now I am not quite sure how is the machine name coming as a contextual user for reports. I don't have claims configured in the environment. I suspect it's the backup and restore of
    database and also I think that the DB backup was post upgrade to Roll Up 10. Does it makes sense?

Cheers,

Kunal

• Marked as answer by Kunal Kochhar Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

could this be related to security roles? Are you running your reports against the filtered views or are you using FetchXml?

Greetings,

Pavlos

Please mark this reply as an answer and vote it as helpful if it helps you find a resolution to your problem.
    View my latest gallery contribution here.
    Visit my blog here.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:21 AM
  • It sounds like the reports are accessing filtered views, and in org2 they are running under the context of a non-CRM user. Within SSRS Report Manager, check the properties of the DataSource that is used for the report.

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Pavlos. All the reports are using filtered views. Same user permissions and role assignments on both orgs. In fact org2 is restored database from Org1 DB backup.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply David. I do suspected this would be the case however, I did checked and compared the security and connection strings of DataSources in report manager and they are same (off course with connection string being different - pointing to it's own databases).

All the users that I am deploying with and testing with are created as CRM user.

Just to mention that Org2 was created via back up from org1 DB and then importing it in Deployment Manager. And the default Org is Org1. 

Also, when I run OOTB reports in org2 they seems to be running fine. I will try creating ORG2 and see if the issue persists. Will update here.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:57 PM
  • So David and Pavlos you were both kind of right, it was a security issue and as mentioned by David it was also that reports were not running in context of the CRM user. When I revisited Report Manager I saw that lot of the reports are deployed and published by on machine name as the user like this: DOMAIN\MachineName$.

I then went and added this guy (DOMAIN\MachineName$) as a user in CRM and volla! 

Now I am not quite sure how is the machine name coming as a contextual user for reports. I don't have claims configured in the environment. I suspect it's the backup and restore of
    database and also I think that the DB backup was post upgrade to Roll Up 10. Does it makes sense?

Cheers,

Kunal

• Marked as answer by Kunal Kochhar Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:06 AM