Backup database corruption happens every day RRS feed

• Question

• Since May 20th (roughly 3 weeks ago) my WHS2011 system has developed frequent issues with the backup database.  I am unable to start any client backups because the database has errors.  I can repair the database (which takes close to 48 hours), but then I will get errors in the database again within a day or two.  I have run StableBit Scanner (which runs a chkdsk amongst other things), which returned no disk errors.  

I have tried to restore the OS back to before the database corruption issues started, but I still get the same behavior.

A review of backuprepair-DATE.log shoes that "File GlobalCluster.4096.dat has errors marked in the header: 256"

Any suggestions?

• Edited by DNGebhardt Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:36 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, backup database reparation will work for a period of time, and problem happens again later.

If possible, please try to run “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files. 

Besides, I want to confirm with you if there is scheduled scanning process, or, anti-virus and protection software? If so, please try to disable it temporarily, or, you can re-start system in Clean Boot, then, do not manually start 3rd party process and wait for a period of time. Confirm that if problem happens again.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/331796/perform-a-clean-startup-to-determine-whether-background-programs-are-i

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:32 AM
  • sfc /scannow found one error:

Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:120{60}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess"\[l:20{10}]"Web.config" from store

I don't know of any other schedule scanning process.  I have AV software.  ESET AV, which I've used for years without issue. 

I will perform a clean boot and report back in a few days.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:16 AM
  • Database was repaired on June 13.  Today there was another database error.  
    Friday, June 15, 2018 12:11 AM
  • Hi,

As you had mentioned that, SFC reports error, please check appropriate log file and confim that if we can replace/repair the corruption file manually.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:43 AM
  • Today I reran SFC and I saw no errors.

However, I have lost most of my client backups over the past few days.  Thinking that one of the drives in my pool was bad, I removed one drive at a time from the pool and ran it through a series of tests.  WD Data Lifeguard, chkdsk, and Disk Management Error Checking.  No errors were found.  I added the drive back to the pool and reran the client backup database repair tool.  The next day, the database would be corrupt again.  I would repeat the process with the next drive in the pool.  Nothing would show up with an error, but each sequence would take several days to complete as terabytes of data would be transferred from drive to drive and the database would be repaired.  

2 days ago, the database repair tool finally came back with an error and removed several backups.  For the most part, all backups prior to July are lost.  But at least the database isn't faulting out each day.  I still don't know what caused the issue.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 3:02 AM