THE CORRECT WAY TO UPDATE SERPS RRS feed

• Question

• Fish, ET AL,

Speaking of sharing ideas,
    Here's how fast and reliable SERP updating works on "another" major search engine:

Microsoft's Live Search Broken Again

... Microsoft's Live Search technical team admitted Sunday afternoon that its URL... is once again incorrectly publishing URLs in its search results index. ...
    www.google.com/base/a/2953513/D5617347428396364573 - Note this

Web Reports's items  >  News and Articles

In response to an inquiry submitted by a web site owner, Microsoft's Live Search technical team admitted Sunday afternoon that its URL submission portal is once again incorrectly publishing URLs in its search results index.

In mid November, Live Search openly admitted to many web site owners that problems with the software that publishes its search results had led to a variety of problems including missing, duplicated and incorrectly puplished URLs.  Owner of Solenarodesigns.com, a site that sells custom made horse hair jewelry informed Live Search that an incorrect URL had been associated with its home page, leading customers to a 404 error (web page does not exist).  After repeated correspondence with Live Search technicians, it was determined that the erronious URL was a result of a problem with the search engine's URL submission portal.

Early Sunday morning, the home page for solenarodesigns.com reappeared in Live Search...once again with an incorrect URL.  Several emails were exchanged between the site owner and Live Search and once again the error has been blamed on the submission portal.  The admission was sent to the owner of the site in the following email:

Hello xxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Live Search technical support. 

We understand that you are having a problem right now with your site < a) not being indexed in Live Search or b) not being found in Live Search when looking for it using key words>.

We are aware of this problem, and it is not affecting your site alone.  We discovered an error in the programming that submits URL's to our search engine and we are in the process of fixing it.  In the next few days you will be to go to the site http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx and submit your URL again.  We will process the site through our anti-spam and content filters and include the site and rank it appropriately.  The entire process should take about 2 weeks to complete, but may take longer depending on the number of pages in your domain, the content, how the page was written, and other factors.

We thank you for your patience while we resolve this issue, and invite you to contact us again if your site is still not indexed in our results after 2 weeks.  You can check if your site is indexed by going to http://search.live.com, and typing "site:<site name>" into the search bar.  You don't need quotes, and you should replace <site name> with the name of your site or URL that you are checking.

Thanks again for contacting Live Search support.

When asked to comment on the issue, the site owner noted that the explainatory email sent to him Sunday was a duplicate of the email he recieved in November when the URL problem was first discovered.  "I have been a strong supporter of Live Search but there comes a time when you start to lose the faith.  This is one of those times." stated the site owner.

AND...

If you enter search term "microsoft's Live Search broken again"  most of the posts to this forum for this thread are are in "their" SERPS already.  Amazing how easy they make it look.  Wonder how quickly the major internet news sites will pick up and post this story?  Evidently faster than Live Search will.  Just wanted to share "ideas and report issues".  At least someone out there is listening.  Unfortunately it's not Microsoft!!!     

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• That is fast...you can also bet the other SE's are watching this develop.

Jeremiah Andrick - Microsoft says we will hear something this week regarding this issue.

I'm one of MSNLive biggest supporters, but I'm starting to lose the faith too, and that is due to the lack of feedback on this major issue. At least WE think it's a major issue.

I would think someone from the Live Team would post " hey folks we're having some problems, so please be patient, we're working on it".

Fish Texas 

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:28 PM
  • Morning,

MAJOR ISSUE?  Live Search has only one job.  Index and post SERPS.  Thats it.  And its what they can't get right.  If my product was as damaged as this search engine, I would be out of business in a blink of a Yahoo minute!  Keep your eyes on news comming from CNet, New York Times and Phila Inquirer on line.  Hear they are getting ready to publish a "fascinating story".  Amazing what can be done when you apply yourself to problem solving.  Any one from Live listening?
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:15 PM
  • Sadly this is likely the only thing that will get the issue resolved.

There has been no progress on our site index problems.  Live is 1/300th of Googles indexing, and 1/60th of yahoo as of this morning.   Impressive!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:33 PM
  •  

Thought you might like to see exactly what has Live Search so stumped (along with an inability of them to tie their own shoes).  While you guys are disatisfied with your placement in the serps, my site was completely removed from the serps (zero pages) because the program that publishes the actual URLs got mine wrong and published the following bull^%$#??%!!:

Web results 1-9 of 24

Results

No underscores, a hyphen instead of a dot and best of all I have never published a php (didn't even know these proxy page designations even existed before I saw this one.  Because these home pages do not exist, as far as Live Search knows, either does my domain in regard to placement in the serps.

Still waiting to hear from support...anything?

bb  

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:03 PM
  • Folks,

Just received email from Live Search Global escalations.  Hopefully my URLs will finally be indexed correctly.  Copy of email follows:

Dec 12, 2007 2:51 PM  

subject
    RE: SRX1051263277ID - Live SearchSurprisether  

mailed-by
    css.one.microsoft.com  
    Hi, Bruce

We have investigated your issue and at this time have done a Content Removal of the reported sites. Please allow 3-5 Business Days for changes to take affect.  If you have more question, please post and discuss on our http://webmaster.live.com/ blog.

Thanks, James
    Microsoft Global Escalations

Still have no "Tools".

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:41 PM
  • It appears this issue is resolved for your site.

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=solenaro+designs&mkt=en-us&scope=&FORM=LIVSOP

If you are still seeing it let me know and I will take a look.

Jeremiah

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  Jeremiah Andrick - Microsoft wrote:

It appears this issue is resolved for your site.

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=solenaro+designs&mkt=en-us&scope=&FORM=LIVSOP

If you are still seeing it let me know and I will take a look.

Jeremiah

I have a website http://www.comfortinnsunset.com/ . I am monitoring SERP of this site from last 4-5 months, I noticed that the search engine ranking of this site is dropped suddenly in one month & suddenly search engine ranking is improves very well in next month & again in next month it disappears from SERP in next month.

This continuously happening from last 4-5 months. I can’t understand that why site disappears & than again appears from SERP. I am confused, I also read the guidelines of MSN, but i don’t think that our site doesn’t meet an criteria of your guidelines. Our site is well ranked on both Google & Yahoo & i am not happy with the results which MSN results give. Can you please tell me what is the problem in the site, is there is an span factor which blocks our site.

Please respond us.

I am not satisfied with the search results

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:53 AM