Upload Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've repeatedly tried to upload a 189Mb ZIP file to a Live Mesh folder, and each time as it approaches the last megabyte, the upload fails.  I'm able to upload smaller files of different types with no problem, and am in fact uploading all of the files right now from the ZIP one at a time successfully.

This is the first time I've tried to use Live Mesh, but I'm not trying anything fancy.

M.

Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog - @sympmarc - jQuery Library for SharePoint Web Services
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi, Mark.
    I don't know what else would cause the failure - I speculate the time-out, not in your connection, but whatever Live Mesh does on the server when it receives the upload and places it into the folder available to your Mesh. I would assume that the upload goes to some sort of cache to be processed, much like a download goes to the local cache until the entire file transfers and it moved to the destination download folder when you use your browser to download. I guess I'm calling it a time-out, but it may well be an issue on the server that is not a time-out, but a problem with that move from inbound to cache.
    As for the client, the Vista client is the one to use on Windows 7 - just select the 32 bit or 64 bit based on your OS.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:16 PM

All replies

• Does the failure return an error? It sounds like the upload is timing out. I assume that you are uploading via the web browser to the Live Mesh folder. Have you considered using the Live Mesh client to sync the file(s) from a local folder to a folder on the Live Desktop?

I should add that the failure should not happen, as far as I know, since the limit for a single file is currently 2 Gigs.
    I'm not aware of any limitation on how that 2 gig file (or smaller) gets to the Live Desktop.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Steve:

I don't think that it's a timeout, as the counter progresses nicely right up to the end.  I'm using the Web browser because when I tried to download the client, there wasn't a Windows 7 version.  (I tried the Vista version, but it didn't want to install.)

The error message isn't that helpful.  It's just a popup with the Title = "Upload Error" and the text:
    Unable to upload the following files:
    • SPDevWiki.zip

M.

Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog - @sympmarc - jQuery Library for SharePoint Web Services
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Hi, Mark.
    I don't know what else would cause the failure - I speculate the time-out, not in your connection, but whatever Live Mesh does on the server when it receives the upload and places it into the folder available to your Mesh. I would assume that the upload goes to some sort of cache to be processed, much like a download goes to the local cache until the entire file transfers and it moved to the destination download folder when you use your browser to download. I guess I'm calling it a time-out, but it may well be an issue on the server that is not a time-out, but a problem with that move from inbound to cache.
    As for the client, the Vista client is the one to use on Windows 7 - just select the 32 bit or 64 bit based on your OS.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Yup, I think I must have selected the 64bit version accidentally.  The 32bit version is installing just fine. Darn users.

Not sure about the upload.  Since I worked around it, it's not holding me up.  If I can help you guys with any debugging, let me know.

M.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Yup, I think I must have selected the 64bit version accidentally.  The 32bit version is installing just fine. Darn users.

Not sure about the upload.  Since I worked around it, it's not holding me up.  If I can help you guys with any debugging, let me know.

Glad you were able to install the client. Thanks for reporting the problem - I'll leave the thread open for now as Ken or someone else from the Live Mesh team may have a comment or may desire more details. (Or someone else may report the problem, too!)
    If you encounter it again, please let us know.
    -steve
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:23 AM