Full Client Restore from Server 2011 Error Creating Partitions RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to do a full restore to a client PC with a new hard drive from Server 2011 and get the following error "Error prevented full system restore wizard from creating partitions on the computer..."

The replacement hard drive is identical to the failed one and has been partitioned and formatted the same. I can login to the server as Administrator and select a backup. I've tried all the restore options, single partition restores, and always get this same error.  Any experience resolving this error will be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:03 AM

Answers

• There is a problem with the full client restore. I'm not sure if this problem has been resolved through server updates but I was using the full client restore CDs shipped with the system.

On the first panel of the full client restore wizard hold the ctrl-alt-shift keys for a few seconds and a command prompt will pop up. Enter the command diskmgmt.msc to bring up disk management. You don't have to do anything with disk management it just has to be running. Complete the full client restore wizard and cross your fingers. This worked for me. 

• Marked as answer by JudgeAndJury Monday, November 25, 2013 3:50 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 3:50 PM