Using SyncToy 2.1 to back up files to a NAS (DNS-323) - error copying files RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've had this problem for a while now.  It existed on 2.0 as well as 2.1.

When I preview I get a list of files that have not changed since the last sync showing up in my list with "Overwrite" shown for those files.  Many files don't have this problem, but several files always show up in the list of files that will be updated.

If I DIFF the two files (they're source code) they show no differences.

If I manually copy the source file to the destination location, the target file is overwritten without any issue.

Error: Cannot write to the destination file. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) Copying D:\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\BF2Query\TestForm\Form1.resx to \\DLINK-NAS\Volume_1\Backups\ANTECi7\Documents_Backup\Visual Studio Projects\BF2Query\TestForm\Form1.resx

Friday, December 18, 2009 12:31 AM

All replies

• I've had this problem for a while now.  It existed on 2.0 as well as 2.1.

When I preview I get a list of files that have not changed since the last sync showing up in my list with "Overwrite" shown for those files.  Many files don't have this problem, but several files always show up in the list of files that will be updated.

If I DIFF the two files (they're source code) they show no differences.

If I manually copy the source file to the destination location, the target file is overwritten without any issue.

Error: Cannot write to the destination file. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) Copying D:\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\BF2Query\TestForm\Form1.resx to \\DLINK-NAS\Volume_1\Backups\ANTECi7\Documents_Backup\Visual Studio Projects\BF2Query\TestForm\Form1.resx

I've since found out that the files showing up in the preview list are marked with a READ-ONLY attribute.  The files at the target location are NOT marked as read-only.  If I attempt to set the read-only attribute on the target location which is on the D-Link DNS-323 NAS drive (running a Unix FS) Windows shows an error message of:

"You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes.  Click Continue to complete this operation."

Clicking "Continue" shows an error message titled "Error Applying Attributes" and a message body of "An error occurred applying attributes to the file: <filename>  Access is denied."

So it would appear that SyncToy sees the different attributes and thinks it needs to update the file to match, but then fails to set the attribute (it can't be set).

Not sure what the best way to handle this type of situation would be.  Personally I wouldn't mind not having the RO attribute set on the destination file, and don't want to see error messages if it can't set the attribute.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:37 AM
  • I have the same issue here. 2.0 and 2.1.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:39 PM
  • >Personally I wouldn't mind not having the RO attribute set on the destination file, and don't want to see error messages if it can't set the attribute.

Same here for Synctoy 2.1. The NAS is LINUX-operated and understands read-only when a dot is at the first position in the file name, not with a flag.

Synctoy tries to apply the RO flag and is unable to do it and considers as an error. This must be an option (copy attributes).

Schneider Electric Industries France
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:59 AM
  • New : I experience now errors in the ST log :

Can someone explain ?

SYNC: 06/22/2010 19:53:31:984: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncException: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change. Updating file    ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070033): The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change. Updating file  
       à Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       à Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, ChangeDataAdapter callbackChangeDataAdapter, SyncDataConverter conflictDataConverter, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       --- Fin de la trace de la pile d'exception interne ---
       à Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, ChangeDataAdapter callbackChangeDataAdapter, SyncDataConverter conflictDataConverter, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       à Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncDataConverter sourceConverter, SyncDataConverter destinationConverter, SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       à Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       à Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       à SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       à SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       à SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       à SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       à SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 06/22/2010 19:53:31:984: *** Exception during preview: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change. Updating file

Schneider Electric Industries France
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:32 PM