Vista Ultimate Activation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm evaluating Vista to determine if it is worth it for the researchers to upgrade existing computers to 64 bit. While the OS itself so far seem satisfactory I am having activation problems which thus far are leaning me to not recommend allowing upgrades and just wait until the computers are retired. Since the machines in question do not have room for additional drives and with the data do not have room for two OS's a problem arises.

1) It is not possible to do an upgrade from XP pro 32 to Vista 64 ultimate without a "clean install"

2) Only the upgrade version is available from our educational supplier (HP)

3) We cannot use any other supplier

4) The valid numbers we get from HP will not work when we boot from the DVD

5) If we use the demo mode we get an error stating the numbers are in use during activation

6) Tried the phone center they said we had an invalid install id and bumped us to tech

7) Tech told us our numbers are ok so it’s an uncovered support issue

When I tried to explain we what was going on he just said I would have to handle it myself and hung up.

Here is the diagnostic log:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Cached Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6CDQM-RV23K-RP8F7
    Windows Product Key Hash: 7VrYSubZ86JPxkAAnCqEelHYZa4=
    Windows Product ID: 89587-014-0000025-71290
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {D115A158-EB3A-4459-BAEF-A7C5ED323C45}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{D115A158-EB3A-4459-BAEF-A7C5ED323C45}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RP8F7</PKey><PID>89587-014-0000025-71290</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3261775925-888847431-498452266</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>122-CK-NF68</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070928000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>08333507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>9A64A9933FDB500</Val><Hash>0dih9VRgtQ19g+nNwqmfB1FYfxU=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-4085837-57700</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:26 PM

Answers

• The MGA report you posted previously indicates a RETAIL VERSION of Windows Vista is installed.  You can only use a RETAIL PRODUCT KEY with a RETAIL Windows Vista DVD.  If you acquired your product keys from HP, they are OEM and will not work with retail installation media.  You would need an OEM Windows Vista DVD.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Seems HP was issuing the wrong keys (twice) whether it was for the OEM vs Retail or a different version of Vista I do not know. They have since contacted Microsoft who issued the proper keys and it not works. Since they are the only VAR for all of New York state higher education I wonder how many others just gave up. I myself was moments away from giving my recommendations to the university to not allow upgrades and just phase it in as computers are replaced, I am sure I am not alone in that matter. The OS itself if fine and I am very pleased with it (there has not been any serious issues even with some of our research specific software, which as you may or may not know is often not as refined as other commercial software. While I understand the time constraints for your tech support if they had even listened to me for 2 minuets I am sure they would have realized the key and the product skew did not match and could have told me so saving me hours of online searching and much grief. I understand the VARs must handle most questions but a few moments instead of just saying your computer is not functioning correctly talk to HP (which was a dead wrong answer) almost cost Microsoft additional upgrades (I was very close to suggesting future server upgrades use either Linux or we purchase Mac boxes to avoid dealing with the poor treatment by Microsoft support. Their handling of the situation was very poor at best and WILL cost you customers. I am including that in my report to the university and my fellow IT professionals at several of our national meetings. This forum was helpful and I thank those who supplied answers, but it is NOT easy to find (I happened to stumble upon it while searching for an answer myself. The automated email response link also brings one to a forum moved page so this is also not helpful. Please do not take this as a rant against Microsoft just some helpful critique, most would just walk away and not say anything which would allow the problems to continue. When you hang up on someone they are more than likely to “hang up” on you and bring others along with them. 

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:14 PM
  • Just to clarify the points you raised:

The error messages were you need a windows ultimate key to activate this software, but when I clicked on the link for more information I got a invalid product key in use statement (these two different types of errors lead to my confusion.

Yes the demo mode was the keyless trial mode and when I tried to change the numbers I received an error stating the product had to be activated first. I even tried the command line utility with no success.

Tech support actually asked for the product key from HP which I gave them, it was either for a OEM version or another flavor of vista I do not know, they did not ask anything about the product ID to see if they matched (which would have immediately solved the problem). Instead they said it was a valid number and assumed there was a computer configuration problem (this was a completely wrong answer). I even asked are you telling me HP has giving me the wrong key twice? All he would say you must talk with your IT people and hung up on me. I have built my own systems for over 25 years and do IT support so I know how difficult it can be fielding support problems, however even the tiniest bit of inquiry would have resolved the problem and when it involves one of your largest VARs this problem could have even larger impact on your company (I’m not saying tie up your resources but taking a bit more information to see if it is a problem, Microsoft should look into instead of a knee jerk wrong answer caused by jumping to a wrong conclusion from a lack of asking a few basic questions followed up with a (implied) we don’t care its HP’s problem not ours answer and hanging up is no solution. I was not bothered by the call centers answer, they were polite and quite frankly I have come to expect little from first line overseas support, however when he transferred me to youy tech support I feel they are the face of Microsoft and expect more from them. A little forethought could save Microsoft market share, piracy is not the only problem hindering the adaption of Vista, and things like this do not help.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:19 PM

All replies

• Q. It is not possible to do an upgrade from XP pro 32 to Vista 64 ultimate without a "clean install"?

A. No.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:15 PM
  • I guess it was not clear the 7 points are statements not questions. So I know you cannot upgrade from any 32 bit to 64 bit version. The question I have is given these points is there any way of activating this install?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:18 PM
  • If you have a OEM product key for a 32-bit version of Vista, it will not work with a 64-bit version.  Thus you cannot activate a 64-bit version with a 32-bit version OEM product key.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:27 PM
  • The two numbers I have tried are supposed to be for the 64-bit version

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:02 PM
  • The MGA report you posted previously indicates a RETAIL VERSION of Windows Vista is installed.  You can only use a RETAIL PRODUCT KEY with a RETAIL Windows Vista DVD.  If you acquired your product keys from HP, they are OEM and will not work with retail installation media.  You would need an OEM Windows Vista DVD.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Ok this is a bit more helpful. The funny thing is the media disk was also purchased from HP, so I'll have to see what they will do.

I wish microsoft tech support had told me this instead of hanging up on me without any explaination.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:39 PM
  •  molgenit wrote:

4) The valid numbers we get from HP will not work when we boot from the DVD

5) If we use the demo mode we get an error stating the numbers are in use during activation

6) Tried the phone center they said we had an invalid install id and bumped us to tech

7) Tech told us our numbers are ok so it’s an uncovered support issue

4) What errors do you receive (if any) when you try to use the numbers (provided by HP) when you boot from the DVD?

5) I am unsure what you mean by Demo Mode. Do you mean your are running Vista as a Trial by installing Vista without entering a Product Key? If so, then yes, you would not be able to Activate Vista since no valid Product Key has yet been entered. 

Have you tried clicking the 'Start' button, right-clicking 'Computer', select 'Properties' and then clicking 'Change product key' and entering the numbers that HP gave you?

6) I have have analysed your Diagnostic Report and I do not see any issue. Your Vista was installed 'Keyless' in which case (since Windows needs a Product key to install) Vista uses a default Product Key which will allow the user a Trial period and then go into reduced functionality mode (if no valid key is entered). This key also shows, in our tool, as "Blocked by Microsoft" because it's not allowed to be activated. The only thing I can think of is that the phone center saw the Blocked by Microsaoft message and though it was an invalid Product Key, not realizing that the install was using the Default Vista Product Key. (I apologize for the call center's mistake, that was not a good customer experiance for you)

7) It appears that Tech did see that your Vista install was using the Default Vista key, which is a Valid Trial install, and so they didn't see any problem.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Seems HP was issuing the wrong keys (twice) whether it was for the OEM vs Retail or a different version of Vista I do not know. They have since contacted Microsoft who issued the proper keys and it not works. Since they are the only VAR for all of New York state higher education I wonder how many others just gave up. I myself was moments away from giving my recommendations to the university to not allow upgrades and just phase it in as computers are replaced, I am sure I am not alone in that matter. The OS itself if fine and I am very pleased with it (there has not been any serious issues even with some of our research specific software, which as you may or may not know is often not as refined as other commercial software. While I understand the time constraints for your tech support if they had even listened to me for 2 minuets I am sure they would have realized the key and the product skew did not match and could have told me so saving me hours of online searching and much grief. I understand the VARs must handle most questions but a few moments instead of just saying your computer is not functioning correctly talk to HP (which was a dead wrong answer) almost cost Microsoft additional upgrades (I was very close to suggesting future server upgrades use either Linux or we purchase Mac boxes to avoid dealing with the poor treatment by Microsoft support. Their handling of the situation was very poor at best and WILL cost you customers. I am including that in my report to the university and my fellow IT professionals at several of our national meetings. This forum was helpful and I thank those who supplied answers, but it is NOT easy to find (I happened to stumble upon it while searching for an answer myself. The automated email response link also brings one to a forum moved page so this is also not helpful. Please do not take this as a rant against Microsoft just some helpful critique, most would just walk away and not say anything which would allow the problems to continue. When you hang up on someone they are more than likely to “hang up” on you and bring others along with them. 

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:14 PM
  • Just to clarify the points you raised:

The error messages were you need a windows ultimate key to activate this software, but when I clicked on the link for more information I got a invalid product key in use statement (these two different types of errors lead to my confusion.

Yes the demo mode was the keyless trial mode and when I tried to change the numbers I received an error stating the product had to be activated first. I even tried the command line utility with no success.

Tech support actually asked for the product key from HP which I gave them, it was either for a OEM version or another flavor of vista I do not know, they did not ask anything about the product ID to see if they matched (which would have immediately solved the problem). Instead they said it was a valid number and assumed there was a computer configuration problem (this was a completely wrong answer). I even asked are you telling me HP has giving me the wrong key twice? All he would say you must talk with your IT people and hung up on me. I have built my own systems for over 25 years and do IT support so I know how difficult it can be fielding support problems, however even the tiniest bit of inquiry would have resolved the problem and when it involves one of your largest VARs this problem could have even larger impact on your company (I’m not saying tie up your resources but taking a bit more information to see if it is a problem, Microsoft should look into instead of a knee jerk wrong answer caused by jumping to a wrong conclusion from a lack of asking a few basic questions followed up with a (implied) we don’t care its HP’s problem not ours answer and hanging up is no solution. I was not bothered by the call centers answer, they were polite and quite frankly I have come to expect little from first line overseas support, however when he transferred me to youy tech support I feel they are the face of Microsoft and expect more from them. A little forethought could save Microsoft market share, piracy is not the only problem hindering the adaption of Vista, and things like this do not help.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Thank you very much for your feedback! And I again apologize for the treatment you received from Product Support Services.

I have sent a copy of your posts to WGA Group Manager as well as my Product Support Services Manager.

Thank you again,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:48 PM