Major performance issues with outlook client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we run a terminal server with outlook 2007 and CRM v4 outlook client (Update Rollup 2-v2).

As soon the client is configured for a user the CPU-usage is rising for that user. If I deactivate the plugin (traymenu) the usage returns to normal. We run this configuration for some time (since CRM 4 was released), so I do not think there are background-tasks running or something like that.

As there are more and more users joining the terminal server i cannot leave it like that anymore.

What can be done about that? What is the plugin doing all the time? I did not find any help on configuring the client. I disabled almonst every feature:
    *No synchronisation
    *no refresh of the address book
    *only contats are matched (addressbook)

What can I do?

Thank you for any help!

regards,
    Uwe
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:01 AM

Answers

• some questions:

1.  How are you tracking email?  Using the forwarding mailbox or monitoring the Outlook mailbox?  Monitoring the individual mailbox takes up more resources than using the router with a forwarding mailbox.

2.  Have you run the advanced diagnostics?  Go start-->all programs-->Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0-->diagnostics-->support mode.  From here you can turn off various forms of synchronization, and from the advanced troubleshooting tab you can delete temporary outlook files. 

3.  Is this the online or offline client?  If the offline client, one thing that can tie up a lot of system resources is the windows indexing service.  This service indexes the help files when first run, but really can be disabled later on.  I've seen systems where 90% of the system resources get tied up by the indexing service shortly after first run, but it typically goes down later.

4.  How many e-mails are in the inboxes?  The more emails, the slower the CRM client (and Outlook in general) will get.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Joel,

thank you for your answer!

It turned out that I had to remove every checkbox in the diagnostics support mode to reduce the load.

I think the penultimate check did the trick (automatic e-mail tracking). But I think this is the most important feature of the oulook client. What makes this feature so slow? Shouldn't it process newly incoming mails only?

Regards,
    Uwe
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:36 PM

All replies

• some questions:

1.  How are you tracking email?  Using the forwarding mailbox or monitoring the Outlook mailbox?  Monitoring the individual mailbox takes up more resources than using the router with a forwarding mailbox.

2.  Have you run the advanced diagnostics?  Go start-->all programs-->Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0-->diagnostics-->support mode.  From here you can turn off various forms of synchronization, and from the advanced troubleshooting tab you can delete temporary outlook files. 

3.  Is this the online or offline client?  If the offline client, one thing that can tie up a lot of system resources is the windows indexing service.  This service indexes the help files when first run, but really can be disabled later on.  I've seen systems where 90% of the system resources get tied up by the indexing service shortly after first run, but it typically goes down later.

4.  How many e-mails are in the inboxes?  The more emails, the slower the CRM client (and Outlook in general) will get.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Joel,

thank you for your answer!

It turned out that I had to remove every checkbox in the diagnostics support mode to reduce the load.

I think the penultimate check did the trick (automatic e-mail tracking). But I think this is the most important feature of the oulook client. What makes this feature so slow? Shouldn't it process newly incoming mails only?

Regards,
    Uwe
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:36 PM