Sever storage to shared folder RRS feed

• Question

• How do I gain access to the files on server storage hard drive?  I would like to set the hard drive up as a shared folder.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 11:36 PM

Answers

•  Roegge wrote:
    How do I gain access to the files on server storage hard drive?  I would like to set the hard drive up as a shared folder.

There is WHS shared folder on your PC desktop, you can access them from there.

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:38 AM
  • I think the question you're asking is something like this:

I have an external drive with files on it. How do I share the files on it through Windows Home Server?

The answer is that you have two choices:

The "Windows Home Server Way" is to copy the files into a share in your storage pool. (You could create a share specifically for those files, then copy them to the share, if you want to keep them out of the default shares.) After you've copied the files to the shares, you can connect the drive to your server and add it to the storage pool,making the space on the drive available to all users of your server. The advantage of this method is that you can use all the tools in Windows Home Server to help you manage the storage on that drive. It's important that you copy the files to the server first, though, because when you add the drive to the storage pool, Windows Home Server will format it and you will lose the files on the drive.

The old way is to connect the drive, assign it a drive letter, and share the drive manually. If you do this, you don't have to worry about copying the files off, but you don't have any ability to manage that storage using the tools in Windows Home Server. You have to use the tools in Windows Server 2003 (the operating system that Windows Home Server was built on).
    Friday, January 4, 2008 4:07 AM

All replies

•  Roegge wrote:
    How do I gain access to the files on server storage hard drive?  I would like to set the hard drive up as a shared folder.

There is WHS shared folder on your PC desktop, you can access them from there.

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:38 AM
  • I think the question you're asking is something like this:

I have an external drive with files on it. How do I share the files on it through Windows Home Server?

The answer is that you have two choices:

The "Windows Home Server Way" is to copy the files into a share in your storage pool. (You could create a share specifically for those files, then copy them to the share, if you want to keep them out of the default shares.) After you've copied the files to the shares, you can connect the drive to your server and add it to the storage pool,making the space on the drive available to all users of your server. The advantage of this method is that you can use all the tools in Windows Home Server to help you manage the storage on that drive. It's important that you copy the files to the server first, though, because when you add the drive to the storage pool, Windows Home Server will format it and you will lose the files on the drive.

The old way is to connect the drive, assign it a drive letter, and share the drive manually. If you do this, you don't have to worry about copying the files off, but you don't have any ability to manage that storage using the tools in Windows Home Server. You have to use the tools in Windows Server 2003 (the operating system that Windows Home Server was built on).
    Friday, January 4, 2008 4:07 AM