Remove W2K from dual boot with XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have had to replace a failed motherboard. While at it, I upgraded CPU, RAM, and HDDs. I dual boot W2K/XP on separate IDE HDDs. I now want to remove W2K and boot from XP alone on an SATA HDD. At first,  I simply cloned the original W2K/XP drives to the new HDDs and, although the boot loader present me my boot options, neither OS would boot (XP freezes on a black screen and W2K returns a STOP error); the result is the same using the original HDDs. I then removed the W2K HDD, reconfigured the XP HDD, adding the boot loader, edited to point to the XP disk, partition, directory, etc., but Winboot fails (does not appear to start) and the system engages in an endless boot loop; all of the XP boot options (via F8) result in the same endless loop.

I live in a rural area and do not have broadband access. As a result, a clean install of XP/apps, and applying all of the security and app updates necessitates more than a week of downloading. In other words, I would sure like to avoid a clean install of XP. At this point, I would be content with transferring the dual boot to the new system (either on the original HDDS or the new HDDs), but would preferr to dispense with W2K and just run XP.

A web search revealed a variety of suggestions, none of which have worked. These have included uninstalling the original drivers before transferrring to the new system to editing the boot loader. If anyone has had success in this realm, I would welcome any suggestions. FYI, I am able to accomplish a clean install of XP to the new system uneventfully; however, I would sure like to avoid a week's plus of downloading/configuring/importing/restoring/ad nauseum.

Thanks, Monk.       
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:03 PM

Answers

• This is the Windows Home Server forum. You might want to try Microsoft's Windows XP forum instead, since that's the operating system your question is about. However, what you want to do (migrating a functional OS from one computer to another) really isn't supported by any Microsoft tools or operating systems.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:21 PM