none
Trying to restore an old Money backup RRS feed

• Question

• I used Money for 10 years, and switched to the legacy sunset edition when I started using Windows 7. My PC dropped dead last June, so I got a new one, and purchased a Windows 10 license. I installed the legacy edition, but when I try to use my .mny file from my last backup, I'm prompted for my Microsoft live id. I hadn't used it for years (I always logged on without network support), and don't know the password. I've tried some of the suggestions from this forum, like disconnecting from the internet. But whatever I do, I can't get past the password issue.

Any suggestions around this? Is is possible to hack the .mny file to get around this? Maybe there is a recovery service I can use?

I work mostly on the Mac these days, and bought Quicken for it, but there isn't an option to import Money field (and if there were, I'm guessing the password issue would still be there).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Saturday, February 16, 2019 12:26 AM

All replies

• I presume you are in the US.

There is no workaround if your file really had a live ID on it. Do you remember anything about the email address and password?

Check your notes. Keep a notepad by the bed in case it comes to you in the middle of the night. The password part is case-sensitive. The email address part is not. The email account does not need to still be working.

Saturday, February 16, 2019 3:42 AM
  • Have you followed the Microsoft account password recovery procedure?

Dr AS

Sunday, February 17, 2019 10:45 AM
  • Have you followed the Microsoft account password recovery procedure?

Dr AS

Don't do that! The credentials to get into the file are those in effect when the file was saved. Attempts to change the credentials will have no effect, although it could confuse things.
    Sunday, February 17, 2019 4:20 PM