Destroyed laptop - need drive access RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this is the proper forum - please advice if it isn't.

My friend's laptop was destroyed in an auto accident. I pulled the drive and placed it in my XP desktop system and the drive appears healthy. However, I received permission issues trying to access folders on the drive, and figured this was due to me using Win XP and the laptop had Win7x64. My questions below are based on the assumption that I'm not able to access these folders from my Win XP system. If that assumption is incorrect, then please let me know.

I have a laptop that I'm not using, and put the drive in it. I was hoping it would plug and play all the new hardware, but after reading a bit online I realize this isn't the easiest thing to do and probably won't work the way the old versions of Windows did.

All I ultimately care about is retrieving the contents of his drive, though it would be great if I could loan him my laptop for a few weeks with 'his files' until he sorts out how to replace the laptop.

Can I get the Win7x64 drive working on the loaner laptop by reinstalling Win7x64 on that laptop? I dont' mean a clean install/reformat, but rather have the installer detect an existing install, and do its magic to get the OS functioning on the new hardware?

I know this raises questions of MS licensing. If the install process could get his old system running on the loaner laptop, would I have a small window of time to fully access his files before being forced to register the OS again? I'm hoping so.

I'm only looking for a short-term fix - I am not recommending he trust this drive long-term as the laptop got pretty mangled from the accident, and once he gets a new laptop it will have everything he needs on it (OS, licensing, etc). If I can have a small window of time where I can simply copy off his important files, or loan him my laptop with his drive and let him bring it to his home network and copy off all the things that are important, then he'll be all set to move them to a new laptop when it is available.

Thanks

Monday, May 2, 2011 1:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Your question would be best asked here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware?page=1&tab=all

This forum deals with windows 7 genuine advantage issues.

You might try hooking up the drive in an external usb enclosure. Been a long time but I recall being able to transfer xp and vista files that way.

Monday, May 2, 2011 2:29 AM
    Answerer
  • The permissions issue simply requires taking ownership of the files and folders.  The forum george1009 references is some help but another place to try is the XP forum for performance and maintenence for info on how to take ownership of files in XP. 
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, May 2, 2011 1:04 PM
    Answerer