WHS Connector grayed out for a long time after server comes up RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

It takes anywhere from 4 to 8 minutes for my WHS Connector to recognize that the server is up and running. The sequence of events is as follows:

- Client laptop is already up and running
    - WHS is brought out of hibernation, and its shared folders are accessible from the client laptop
    - 4 to 8 minutes after shares are accessible on the WHS, the Connector icon on taskbar turns green (from gray). Only then can I open up the WHS Console.

Any idea why?

Thanks.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:45 AM

Answers

• This is normal behavior. The Windows Home Server connector looks for your server when your client computer starts; if it doesn't find it the connector icon is greyed on the client, and the client checks again occasionally.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:48 AM

All replies

• This is normal behavior. The Windows Home Server connector looks for your server when your client computer starts; if it doesn't find it the connector icon is greyed on the client, and the client checks again occasionally.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:48 AM
  • The question is: Why does it take so long for the WHS connector to find the server even though I can remote desktop to the server and access shares on it from **the client laptop that has the WHS connector**.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:08 AM
  • I already answered that: Because the connector on the client isn't constantly trying to find the server. ("...and the client checks again occasionally .") If it doesn't succeed immediately, it waits a little while before trying again. Combine that with the fact that the server takes at least a couple of minutes to become fully responsive after you boot it, and it's very easy to see a 5-10 minute delay before the icon turns green.

While it's true that the console uses a Remote Desktop connection, the connector only makes the console available when it believes the server is up. So it's not surprising that you can connect via a direct Remote Desktop connection before the console is available: the server is responsive but the connector isn't yet aware of this fact.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:12 PM
  • I think the algorithm used to detect whether the server is live is flawed...It doesn't make any sense to me that the server is accessible by all other components on the client, and yet, the connector takes (much) longer to detect this. The worst part, I am beginning to find out, is that it is inconsistent. For example, earlier today I woke up the hibernating server from the client (through Wake-on-Lan), and the connector detected the server was live in under 30 seconds! It just so happened that the connector was waking up from sleep and checking for server connectivity soon after I started the server, and it turned green immediately.

I am learning to work around this...Remote Desktop to the server and bring up the WHS Console on the server. This is much faster than waiting for the connector to turn green!

I hope someone from the WHS is monitoring these forums...
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:28 PM
  • It checks every few minutes. What's flawed about that? Would you rather it hammers away at your network looking for a server that's down?

That said, if you really do feel this should be changed, feel free to submit a product suggestion on Connect.

Friday, February 5, 2010 6:31 PM
  • What's "every few minutes"? Is it 5 minutes, 6 minutes, 10 minutes? Has anyone quantified it? It might seem much ado about something trivial, but there are other examples of client programs that can detect when a network, or a server on the other side of the network is available and establish a connection immediately (or do it in a consistent manner). All your favorite IM programs are examples of that. It doesn't mean "hammering away at the network" - whatever that means.

Thanks for the pointer to the product suggestion link. I will follow up there...
    Santhosh Cheeniyil
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:09 PM
  • The period isn't defined anywhere in the registry, so it's not configurable. My personal bet is every 5 minutes, but I don't really care, as I don't shut my server down.

Friday, February 5, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Out of interest you can simply right click the 'grey' connector icon and select 'Windows Home Server Console' to make it run the console despite the icon being grey.  You don't have to wait for it to turn green or use full RDP and run the console from the server.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:51 PM