PowerUser: Home or Ultimate RRS feed

• General discussion

• I will be transfering my costly Windows XP Pro Retail License to my mom soon and will be needing to purchase an operating system that is capable of running Cubase 5 and performing MPEG encoding/decoding.   Because I like to upgrade my hardware at lot, I will probably have to buy a Retail version of MS Windows; unfortunately Windows 7 Professional costs a whopping $300.  Because of this I may have to go with the home version for $200.  To that effect, I have several questions. 

Does the Retail Home Version of Windows 7:
    1) come with both 32bit and 64bit media?
    2) have any inherent security weaknesses that are not present in the professional and ultimate versions?
    3) Allow encryption of single files?
    4) Allow the configuration of local users/groups via an XP Like Computer Management console?
    5) Allow the definition of Local Security Settings to include Audit Policies, User Rights Assignment and Software Restriction Policies?

In my oppinion, the above features should be available in all Operating Systems, since features like this are native to Linux (free) via that chmod, chgrp, useradd, groupadd commands, I have come to expect them.

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:57 AM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:57 AM Off topic. (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Getting Started and Upgrading)
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:25 AM

All replies