How to rescue my system that is going to be using a new motherboard / chipset? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone. My Motherbord thats running WHS unfortunately just bit the dust. I had the common leaking caps. Anyways, i ordered a new MB but unfortunately it has a different chipset. My MB that just died has a ULI chipset which of course you can't get anymore because Nvida bought them out. I ended up getting a mb with a nforce4 ultra chipset. I remember last time this happened (replaced a MB on my home server) i had to reformat my whs. It would not let me just install the OS part. When i ran the whs install procedure id did not give me the option to just reinstall just the OS...it made me format the disk. I was able to get all my data but i had to stick the hard drives in other machines and grab all the data off of them. I also lost all my backups. Is there any way to prevent this? I really don't want to loose all my backups again and go through the hastle of trying to read the data off the 3 hard drives i have in my WHS.

thanks,
    Ncage
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:56 PM

Answers

• ncage said:

Hi everyone. My Motherbord thats running WHS unfortunately just bit the dust. I had the common leaking caps. Anyways, i ordered a new MB but unfortunately it has a different chipset. My MB that just died has a ULI chipset which of course you can't get anymore because Nvida bought them out. I ended up getting a mb with a nforce4 ultra chipset. I remember last time this happened (replaced a MB on my home server) i had to reformat my whs. It would not let me just install the OS part. When i ran the whs install procedure id did not give me the option to just reinstall just the OS...it made me format the disk. I was able to get all my data but i had to stick the hard drives in other machines and grab all the data off of them. I also lost all my backups. Is there any way to prevent this? I really don't want to loose all my backups again and go through the hastle of trying to read the data off the 3 hard drives i have in my WHS.

thanks,
    Ncage

First, the OEM license is tied to your motherboard.  If you replace your mobo for any reason other than a failure or if you replace your failed mobo with one that is not comparable with the one that failed, MS is within their right to not allow you to activate your OEM license a second time.  (I'm not saying they will do that, just that they can.)

Anyway, In order to prevent having to go through what you went through last time, you need to perform a Server Reinstallation.  That will format the OS partition but leave everything else alone.  If you are unable to get that option to show up, please post back here and someone will give you ideas on what to try.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 1:52 AM