Upgrade Disc Windows 7 Lost XP key RRS feed

• Question

• It was time to reformat and I mistakenly (aka not reading the directions) reformatted before i tried to install windows again I had a windows 7 upgrade disc and have ABSOLUTELY no idea where my old xp key is... Will Microsoft help me or try to hoard my money
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:25 AM

Answers

• An upgrade version of Windows 7 requires that either Windows XP or Windows Vista be installed as the qualifying operating system.  Absent that, you'll need a Windows 7 "Full Version" edition.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:39 AM
  • Is there a label on the back or bottom of the computer with the original product key? 
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Is there a label on the back or bottom of the computer with the original product key? 

If there is, that means the PC came with a copy of Windows pre-installed.  You can contact the manufacturer of the PC and see if they can provide replacement Windows Recovery disks so you can install the version of Windows that originally came with the PC and then Upgrade using the Windows 7 Upgrade.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:23 PM

All replies

• An upgrade version of Windows 7 requires that either Windows XP or Windows Vista be installed as the qualifying operating system.  Absent that, you'll need a Windows 7 "Full Version" edition.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 4:39 AM
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:08 PM
    Answerer

If there is, that means the PC came with a copy of Windows pre-installed.  You can contact the manufacturer of the PC and see if they can provide replacement Windows Recovery disks so you can install the version of Windows that originally came with the PC and then Upgrade using the Windows 7 Upgrade.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:23 PM