Help! No idea where WHS was installed! RRS feed

• Question

• Evertything was set up by folks that are no longer with the company and we have no idea where to find the computer that has our WHS on it. Maybe it's not on a computer? All networking, routing, and set up were done by others and no information was left on how it was done. I know all our computers are linked to our server and thank goodness all communicate perfectly (knock on wood) but we are wanting to get set up with EDI for our customers and to do that we need to install the software on the computer that hosts the WHS. I looked at all our computers and cant find the one named as the server. Is it possible that the server is on one of these computers eventhough the name of the computer is different?

Friday, March 26, 2010 10:30 PM

All replies

• Evertything was set up by folks that are no longer with the company and we have no idea where to find the computer that has our WHS on it. Maybe it's not on a computer? All networking, routing, and set up were done by others and no information was left on how it was done. I know all our computers are linked to our server and thank goodness all communicate perfectly (knock on wood) but we are wanting to get set up with EDI for our customers and to do that we need to install the software on the computer that hosts the WHS. I looked at all our computers and cant find the one named as the server. Is it possible that the server is on one of these computers eventhough the name of the computer is different?

It might be installed as a virtual machine on one of your clients (although it seems unlikely).  Best way to find out if that is true is to first ping your server (to see if you get a response), then shut down all of your clients (except for the one you pinged from), then ping your server from the same client.  If it doesn't respond, then it's a virtual machine on one of the other boxes.  If it does, it's either a VM on that box or is somewhere else in the office.
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Does the server have a CD-ROM Drive on it?   I've opened the drive remotely before to locate a lost machine in a data centre quickly.

Are you running managed switches?  Anyone who knows their way around them could tell you where your server is.  If you are not run a ping on your network to the server and start turning off switches until you find which switch it's hanging off, then it should be fairly easy.

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:23 AM
  • You're goling to need to hire someone new to manage your network. Tell him to document the configuration.

As for your EDI software, check with the ISV to find out if installation on Windows Home Server is a tested, supported configuration. I'll bet it isn't.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:05 PM