Import fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    We are trying to copy our production environment over to our test/development environments but this is causing us enormous problems.
    The size of the production database is very large and the import organisation process takes 40-60hours to complete and it usually ends with a failure.
    I was wondering if anyone had managed to do a cold copy of the datebases directly and skip the "import organisation" step alltogether. I know this is
    not "supported" by Microsoft but we are in dire straits here. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Sincerely,
    Einar,
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hey guys,
    Our sysadmin installed an update named "RollUp 9" and that seems to have fixed the problem. The whole process took less than 4hours after this
    patch was installled. Thanks anyways for quick answers.

P.S
    Generally speaking, it's not really an option for us to reduce the size of the database. One reason for the DB being so big is because all billing information for
    the organisation is stored inside the CRM database. And there are other similar datasets, which are huge, within the CRM database.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:00 AM

All replies

• The first thing should be to determine why your database is so big. Don't you have the possibility to reduce the size? Generally, the table asyncoperationbase is responsible of a big database size when using massively the workflow feature.

For your question, as far as I know, you must focus on table concerning users and organizations in the MSCRM_CONFIG database. I don't know if this can works but if it does, this is the place to look at...
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com
    You will find:
    Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms)
    ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import)
    View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others)
    And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:30 PM
  • The CRM Deployment Wizard has a lot of work to do when you import an organization. For starters, it has to assign new GUIDs to every record, and then change all the pointers to old GUIDs to the new ones. If you just copied the old database over the top of the new one, new GUIDs wouldn't be assigned. Although the system might just work -- this would be luck rather than a reliable, supported solution.

Like Tanguy T says, what size is the database (how many GB) and what is the specification of your database server, and is it powering any other applications?

Neil
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:02 PM
  • Hey guys,
    Our sysadmin installed an update named "RollUp 9" and that seems to have fixed the problem. The whole process took less than 4hours after this
    patch was installled. Thanks anyways for quick answers.

P.S
    Generally speaking, it's not really an option for us to reduce the size of the database. One reason for the DB being so big is because all billing information for
    the organisation is stored inside the CRM database. And there are other similar datasets, which are huge, within the CRM database.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:00 AM