Stream music RRS feed

• Question

• The only thing that I'm missing right now is a good programm that can stream music to Winamp/WMP via WAN (so I can listen to my song stored at the WHS at work). I think this is really a thing that should have been supported from the start.

I wonder if someone knows a good programm to stream music in WHS. I've been busy with Kplaylist but to install php/mysql and make everything work fine under IIS is a hell..

For the time being I use winamp remote.. but I can't say that this is really the perfect programm, e.g. it takes a while forward to the next song.

Please share your ideas about music streaming via internet
    Monday, February 4, 2008 7:28 PM

Answers

• If I understand your question, Webguide at http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/default.aspx has been used here by many for just what you want to achieve.

Bart

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:08 AM

• WebGuide has a beautiful interface & integrates with the WHS console/webpage.  It works pretty well if you use the embedded streaming player.  I have some trouble streaming video & audio to windows media player (I do have the correct codec's installed on my WHS machine).

Orb works really well (www.orb.com) for both audio and video.  It has a busy webpage but since it works it puts it a step above others.

Slim devices slimserver works for audio only and is a minimalist package.

Those are the three I've used so far.  Orb has the most features and works, but it is a third party service and you have to be comfortable knowing that to use it.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:15 AM

All replies

• If I understand your question, Webguide at http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/default.aspx has been used here by many for just what you want to achieve.

Bart

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:08 AM

• WebGuide has a beautiful interface & integrates with the WHS console/webpage.  It works pretty well if you use the embedded streaming player.  I have some trouble streaming video & audio to windows media player (I do have the correct codec's installed on my WHS machine).

Orb works really well (www.orb.com) for both audio and video.  It has a busy webpage but since it works it puts it a step above others.

Slim devices slimserver works for audio only and is a minimalist package.

Those are the three I've used so far.  Orb has the most features and works, but it is a third party service and you have to be comfortable knowing that to use it.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:15 AM
  •  Bartman917 wrote:

If I understand your question, Webguide at http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/default.aspx has been used here by many for just what you want to achieve.

Bart

The 'problem' with Webguide is that Webguide is not able to play folders. If they add that, the programm would be perfect. I'll test slimserver tonight,

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:41 AM
  • Quite a few people on here use Firefly as a server. It works very well, plus there is an Add-In for it's settings etc.

Colin
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 6:07 PM
  • I've used Firefly for quite some time now, but I'm not aware of a way to make it stream over a WAN, only LAN. 
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:36 PM
  •  

I would be very interested to hear if streaming via a wan using Firefly is possible since it is already installed on my WHS.
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:11 PM