My OneCare Live Icon does not show up in the system tray RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit.  While tuneup is running, the icon shows but that is only after I start Onecare from the start menu and start the Tune-up.  After the Tune-up is over, the "1" icon does not display.  Makes me think that some malware has stoped it or???  Ideas anyone? 
    Website Developer
    Friday, January 23, 2009 2:33 PM

Answers

• Did it ever appear or has it recently disappeared?

If it recently disappeared, what changes may have occurred - new software installed, etc. - prior to its disappearance?

(3 - 24" monitors? I'm jealous!)

If it recently disappeared and won't come back, it may be worth trying a reinstall of OneCare. You can also try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\ in Windows Explorer and double clicking winssnotify.exe to see if that makes the icon appear.

If all else fails, you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 23, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• Does the icon never appear, even after a reboot? When it disappears, it tends to be a problem that is easily resolved by rebooting the PC. One other possibility would be that you are hiding inactive system tray icons. Right click on the taskbar, select properties, and uncheck "hide inactive items" to see if the icon appears and stops disappearing. You can customize this behavior with the button next to that check box.

-steve

Friday, January 23, 2009 4:09 PM
  • The Icon never appears; even after a re-boot.  I re-checked and I am not hiding inactive icons either.  I am using classic start menu.

http://www.windmillweb.com/Bosch/image1.gif  is a partial screen image.  Note I did not show it all but there are 3 24" screens.  As you can see, I have the OneCare up in a window but it does not matter whether or not I have that window up.  The icon does not appear.

Ideas?

Website Developer
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Did it ever appear or has it recently disappeared?

If it recently disappeared, what changes may have occurred - new software installed, etc. - prior to its disappearance?

(3 - 24" monitors? I'm jealous!)

If it recently disappeared and won't come back, it may be worth trying a reinstall of OneCare. You can also try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\ in Windows Explorer and double clicking winssnotify.exe to see if that makes the icon appear.

If all else fails, you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Very strange.  I tried lots of things and finally, per your suggestion, uninstalled it (I just tried to install it but no... I had to uninstall it first) then installed it and the shiney little green 1 is back smiling at me.  It is a bit disconcerting but I suppose all is well now.  Thank you for your time and effort sir.

Robert.

Website Developer
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:37 PM
  • You're very welcome and I'm glad that the "1" has returned. It would appear that something broke, but we won't know what it was. If malware had disabled OneCare, you'd have known it when opening OneCare from the start menu as it would have reported a problem opening or some other issue with itself.

-steve

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:24 PM
  • I too have a similar problem, except the icon for Windows Live OneCare NEVER appeared on my toolbar nor on the desktop. But the program does show up in my program files, I just don't want to have to go there each time I want to use the scanner.

Any advice for me?

Thanks so much! 
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:23 PM
  • I too have a similar problem, except the icon for Windows Live OneCare NEVER appeared on my toolbar nor on the desktop. But the program does show up in my program files, I just don't want to have to go there each time I want to use the scanner.

Any advice for me?

Thanks so much! 

I just moved your other post to off topic. Did you use the Safety Scanner - 

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Or did you install OneCare from http://onecare.live.com ?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:16 PM