Increase the field length of the notetext in Annotation entity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

weird thing I have seen today, throuh plugin I am constructing XML and adding to a note record for a entity like Product, which goes well. but when I went to edit manually the note record in product entity, an alert comes with "You have exceeded the maximum number of 100000 characters in this field; it will be truncated".

Now I could see the number of characters the XML in the notetext field is 10 times the actual limit allowed, when I edit then only error is coming. So how to make it easy to edit and expandable in length.

Any help is really appreciated.

SAMA

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:54 PM

Answers

• As previously mentioned there isn't a supported way to increase this limit and touching the database is not a good idea as you know. 

Another alternative might be to store this data in a separate database and create an HTML or Silverlight web resource that can be used inside CRM to interact with the large data. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's better to upload this XML as an attachment In Annotation entity. 

Hope this helps. If you get answer of your question, please mark the response as an answer and vote as helpful !
    Vikram !

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Hi Vikram,

that is fine, but involves changes in plugins and its in live environment. I am looking for notetext to paste rather than attachment. So how to increase the length is what I am looking for

Thanks

SAMA

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Hi SAMA,

I think there is no supported way to do this.

Hope this helps. If you get answer of your question, please mark the response as an answer and vote as helpful !
    Vikram !

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Hi Sama,

As you know the length of the "NoteText" field is 100000 characters and there is no supported way to increase the length of the "NoteText" field. 
    Through database update you can increase the length of the "NoteText" field but it is unsupported. Try Below SQL Query to  increase the length of the "NoteText" field.

update AttributeView
    set MaxLength = 1000000
    where Name ='NoteText' 

Chandan - http://mscrm-chandan.blogspot.in/ I hope this helps. If my response answered your question, please mark the response as an answer and also vote as helpful !!!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:44 PM
  •   Hi Chandan,

Its already nvarchar(Max), only on CRM interface is what I am facing problem. Its not always good to run some sql queries in CRM which may end up breaking the system. Any other ideas let me know. Thanks

SAMA

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:29 PM
  • As previously mentioned there isn't a supported way to increase this limit and touching the database is not a good idea as you know. 

Another alternative might be to store this data in a separate database and create an HTML or Silverlight web resource that can be used inside CRM to interact with the large data. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:14 PM