Active Directory Rename With CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am needing to rename our active directory domain "DOMAIN", to our company name. I am running dynamics crm 4.0.

I am unsure how dynamics crm will go? Is there a step by step guide? (I did see crm 4.0 put its own groups in active directory with guids)

Any Comments?

Thanks in Advance

Beachnerd

Sunday, September 14, 2008 11:46 PM

Answers

•  

Redeployment manager comes to mind.

Remember that you use this tool when you move CRM from one Forest to Another.

Ok so this is the supposed to be the same forest but for sure somethings changed in the LDAP database and the tool was designed for this.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:41 AM

All replies

• everything is based on GUID's and shouldn't affect it however don't take my word for it. you should test it on a test system.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure u backup everything first including CRM databaes, RS DB, AD backup.

It will surely affect your CRM. But the main critical point here is that u do the renaming correctly becase it is indded a very delicate process. Check this URL for how to rename a Domain. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb405948.aspx

After renameing u will need to run the CRM setup in repair mode in order to finish the job. The golden rule is that try this in a lab and see what will go wrong.

Regards

Sampath - MCT: Ms CRM

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I did a active directory rename, was quite easy with rendom.exe

CRM was unaffected. all users are still able to login. (no repair requred)

But i have come across a problem... my users still use the old "Domain Login Name", and if i try and change it it comes up with "You are attempting to create a user with a domain name that is already used by another user. Select another domain logon and try again" (at this stage i did a repair to see if things changed)

Any idea how to change it.. Any SQL Hacks (my thought?)

Thanks In Advance

Beachnerd
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:46 AM
  • Edit...

Also no administrator can login to the Deployment Manager Snap-In.

The Error "Only the Deployment Administrators are able to use Deployment Manager. You are not a deployment manager"

Kind Regards
    Beachnerd
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

Ok, I have fixed the users domain login identifiers. SQL Hack.

The deployment manager doesnt work, have tried the following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946686/enus, with no success.

Any other ideas, apart from reinstalling.

Thanks In Advance
    Beachnerd
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:14 AM
  •  

Redeployment manager comes to mind.

Remember that you use this tool when you move CRM from one Forest to Another.

Ok so this is the supposed to be the same forest but for sure somethings changed in the LDAP database and the tool was designed for this.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:41 AM
  • ok, is it possible to get a link to the redeployment manager (can only find deployment manager)?
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:25 AM
  • Any ideas,

I can't get access to my deployment manager, no matter what i do, i did call microsoft but they wanted $400AUD for a response,

Before i renamed the ad the admins name was DOMAIN/Administrator and after it is now COMPANY/Administrator.

I am looking for a quick solution. It really can't be that hard to fix up can it? I have tried the following steps...

1. I did have a look within the mssql db, and changed some of the domain logon paths, it didn't do anything in the end, i even looked in the dynamics crm directory for config files...

2. Did a repaired crm using the install. and it did nothing....

Microsoft really do need a tech article on this topic.

Kind Regards
    Beachnerd
    Friday, October 3, 2008 6:25 AM
  • Hi Beach,

Your safest solution is to take the last SQL backup you had (preferable prior to renaming the AD) and run that through the redeployment tool. When you re-install you have to make use of the redeployment tool to prepare the database for redeployment. You will map your existing AD users withing MS CRM to new AD users in your new domain.

Once the database has been modified, you may perform a custom install of MS CRM and specify an existing database (your 'fixed' database).

Long and short is that MS doesn't allow any direct modification of the database other than through the supported API's (web services). The product back-end is too complex and support costs would skyrocket if we were 'allowed' to modify the data layer directly.

Cheers,

Karlo

Friday, October 3, 2008 7:20 AM