windows home server restore cd and network drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First off I know how to select drivers during the “bare metal restore”
    http://www.whshelp.com/articles/WHS%20backup%20after%20hard%20drive%20fails.htm
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b14e3cf2-7b02-4569-8c26-c75b7a58d6e7

My younger brother has an XFX nForce 610i / GeForce 7050 mother board with onboard Realtek ethernet and the drivers do not appear to be working with the windows home server restore disk.

So what happened was I clicked the: Show Details button

Scan USB drive to find the driver

Press the Install Driver

Scanned

"Drivers were found for your hardware.

Click OK to see all detected hardware."

Clicked OK
    And did not see the network card

So I clicked continue and it was unable to find the sever (no surprise)

Why does the restore cd not install the network drivers like windows vista/7 when I install Windows 99% of the time it just works....

Any Help would be appreciated.

dell
    Friday, December 25, 2009 10:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• The restore CD is based on Vista PE. Not each driver is capable to work in this limited environment. The best chances for success you have with Vista 32 Bit drivers.
    Did you check the FAQ How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore?
    There is still another method to recover a disk, if you have a second client. See the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.
    Maybe the thread How to restore a computer using Windows7 DVD. is also interesting for you.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by dell6568 Monday, December 28, 2009 2:50 AM
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:24 PM
  • Thank you I will give it a try but the point is windows home server seems to be marketed to "average people" with the "mommy why is there a server in the house" book ect.

and yes I did read the "FAQ How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore "

dell
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:07 AM
  • I agree, that there is still potential for Windows Home Server to act more in relation with it's target audience. I also think, the Windows Home Server team knows this, but the tools it had at the time of the product introduction did not allow much better handling. Some other stuff may be oversight, but for sure the WHS team knows the customer opinion about such stuff and is trying to improve the user experience.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Seems to be working from my desktop many thanks

shut down and unplugged my computer opened it up grounded myself with a wrist strap and both hands touching the case just in case unplugged my hard drive and plugged my computer back in and poped in the cd and connected the new drive to the 3 in 1 external drive kit. 70% done so far........

dell
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:38 AM
  • it said the restore was successful but kept giving me boot manger missing but to be fair It kept giving him the boot manager missing anytime he tried to install windows 7 windows 7 worked on his old hard drive and I was able to install windows 7 on his new drive on my system but he kept getting boot manager missing on his system. so for whatever reason he can't install windows 7 on his new hard drive ( much larger) and fairly new motherboard but can run windows vista and sbs 2008.

dell
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:46 AM